Linguaholic

Favorite book in Spanish?

rgaz83

• 2 weeks later...

Since I came to the virtual world I stopped reading books and while I can remember having a few favorite titles written in Spanish, I could not cite any of them right now.

However I can share a good source for Spanish books that you can read online or download in your preferred format form the Gutenberg Project.

This is the link, http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/es

• 1 month later...

Me encanta todo the Gabriel Garcia Marquez! Super linda las palabras de "Cien Años de Soledad..."

La primera cosa que yo leí de él fue "Croníca de una muerte anunciada." Mucho mas facíl para entender...

¿Más facil de entender? En mi clase de Literatura Hispanoamericana la maestra nos explicó muchas cosas de las que ningún estudiante se dio cuenta. ¿Sabías que en realidad los hermanos NO lo querían matar y estaban haciendo tiempo para que los descubrieran y que los enviaran a la cárcel? Lo único que ellos querían era defender el honor de su hermana, no matar al protagonista. Yo no lo recomendaría para gente cuyo primer idioma no es el español jajaja  :tongue:

Un libro que a mi me gustó mucho fue el "Lazarillo de Tormes". Es de autor anónimo, pero me hizo reir la triste historia del Lazarillo.  :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

There's a site called Cuentos Para Chicos that offers lots of stories for kids. Accessing the stories on the site is free. Of course, the stories are written in Spanish. You should visit it and have a look at what they offer under various themes. They have classics and if a child wants to listen to a story instead of reading it, audio files are available.

One Hundred Years of Solitude aka Cien anos de Soledad, by acclaimed Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's not only my favorite Spanish-language book, but also one of my all-time favorites, as it also displays the Latin American presence in modernism and relevant world literature.

• 2 weeks later...

Roberto Bolaño is one of my favorite writers. 2666 and Los Detectives Salvajes are a must for those who like reading in Spanish. Another contemporary writer I like is Enrique Vila Matas; Joyce has some influence on him, as you can see in his book Dublinesca.

• 2 weeks later...

"La Casa de los Espiritos", by isabel Allende.

Maybe you've seen the movie with Winona Ryder, Glenn Close and a lot of other stars, but the film cuts out a lot of the story of one family's development in Chile leading up to the military coup of 1973 and subsequent dictatorship.

I don't like Don Quixote to be honest: it's a parody of medieval tales of chivalry, and if you don't know those tales then all the humour is lost. It's like looking at a comedian on TV imitating a famous politician, and you don't know the politician: it's not funny!

• 2 years later...

Hey there! You should read absolutely everything written by Jorge Luis Borges. He is such an amazing talent and his poems and short stories have moved me deeply on many occasions... Please give him a shot. You can also check out another Argentine writer, Julio Cortázar. His short stories are crazy!

• 1 month later...

My favorite book in Spanish is "Cien Años de Soledad by Gabriel García Márquez. Anything from him is wonderful, really. I also like "La Fiesta del Chivo" by Mario Vargas Llosa, and "La Casa de los Espíritus" by Isabel Allende. 

• 5 weeks later...

I think that as a lot of people here, I enjoy reading short stories and books in general of the immortal Gabriel Garcia Marquez... I think that my favorite one is Ojos de perro azul, it's like a compilation of some of his short stories and some of them just freaked me out at the ending of middle school... Weird times. And when it comes to poems, I really enjoy Mario Benedetti's poetry, the classical Te quiero was a really significant thing for me on my teenage years. Such a magical way to write!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head. It was a wonderfully spooky book that was aimed towards teaching children Spanish while being written completely in Spanish. A person had to guess the context of the word and choose from some already Spanish words to the side. It wasn't a book for beginners, but I found it quite pleasurable. It was just about a little girl lost in a haunted house with a murderer following her about. If I can ever get a copy of it back from the library, I will amend this with a name.

• 6 years later...

La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

It's newer and perhaps not as elevated as Borges or the Boomers, but it's fun. It takes place in Barcelona and reminded me of when I lived there briefly. I forget the plot but it's about a boy coming of age in a world full of mystery, terror, and magic.

The Spanish is very accessible.