Linguaholic

What’s the first proof that you’re nailing the new language you’re studying?

Adobo

Like, one moment you only speak this one certain language, the next moment someone asked you in different language and you’re able to reply in the same manner that person has spoken. Or you have in your hand this poem or article written in other language and when you tried to read it you’re, like, “Hey, I can read it!”

I felt quite validated the first time I looked at my Spanish mark on my report card. At least 90%. I had never come remotely close to that score in all of my French studies. That was the first time I truly felt like I was good with language learning.

When I dream in the language I am learning. I considered that a huge breakthrough. The first time I dreamed in Spanish I was so excited. I felt like I was thinking subconsciously in the language I was trying to learning instead of hearing, translating, then responding.

The first time you are asked a question in the language you are studying and you answer right away, in the language, without thinking about it first or translating in your head. That is a great moment.

You probably didn't even notice when you did it, but when you think about it later it is a big accomplishment. Learning another language can be difficult, it is great to focus on these positive moments of achievement.

• 2 weeks later...

When I dream in the language I am learning. I considered that a huge breakthrough. The first time I dreamed in Spanish I was so excited. I felt like I was thinking subconsciously in the language I was trying to learning instead of hearing, translating, then responding.

This is pretty cool. I have never dreamed in an alternative language and I can't imagine what that would be like. Must have felt a bit strange when you woke up.

I had a german patient and he was really laughing on how I try to speak german. I know my german is still limited but I can still make few phrases. He can speak english but when I greeted him in german he was really surprised.

For me I think it's when I can understand when I'm not really listening. I start hearing people conversations randomly in the street... in Los Angeles there's tons of Spanish speaking people and since I'm white it's assumed I don't know any, but I know exactly what they're saying!

I think you are getting the hang of it when you can communicate with your foreign language teacher in the actual foreign language without the temptation to use your native tongue.  That means you can speak the new language with confidence and a fair amount of ease.  My French teachers would scold us if we spoke any English in class.  That's the best way to learn!

Like, one moment you only speak this one certain language, the next moment someone asked you in different language and you’re able to reply in the same manner that person has spoken. Or you have in your hand this poem or article written in other language and when you tried to read it you’re, like, “Hey, I can read it!”

Dreaming for me in another language is how I felt I was really getting to grips with Spanish. Apparently lots of people think that this is the turning point in your studies. I may have dreamed in Spanish, I can't say it was all good though :-)

• 6 months later...

For me I would have to say responding to someone in the language or at least understanding most of what was said. I think I could do ok with reading so fluency would be my proof.

When I listen to someone and don't need a translator. :) That for me is already huge. That's also the time I start becoming comfortable speaking the language myself.

when you confidently speak using sentances that you haven't even used before. That means your brain has grasped the concepts of word order and grammar. When you are improvising, that's a sign of fluency. There are many sentences that we will say that we have never said before, but because we are fluent we can make them up on the spot.

"When Michael was having a X-Ray for chest pain, the Doctor noticed a fracture that have previously gone unoticed". For example you have probably never said that specific sentence before. But we can easily construct it because we are fluent in English. When you can do that in other languages that's a sign that you have nailed it.

For me, I would say it's when I'm able to completely understand something a native speaker is saying without using the words in context to figure it out. This to me means I am able to translate the entire sentence and can have a full conversation with the native speaker in return.