Linguaholic

Which English Dictionary You Use ?

ghanashyam

I use the Websters Student edition very old  dictionary for daily use. The dictionary is small and does not contain more than 5000 words but then it has all the words that you need to know if you are reading simple things, like news papers or books. There is a larger edition of the company but the types are so small that it strains the eyes.

Which English dictionary you use?

In India there are some local dictionaries  also which are useful for English words used in India only.

For reference purposes I mostly use the Oxford Pocket Dictionary. Its relatively small compared to most other dictionaries and can thus, be quite handy. I also have an old edition Merriam Webster at home, its a massive tome compared to most dictionaries complete with a faux leather finish. Its used for those words which don't show up in the other dictionary.

I love  the Oford  dictionary to look up words that are new to me. However, am a person who loes Synonyms thereefore I carry around a pocket theuserus. It is really aids me al lot it tems of finding meaning to words as well as other words that mean the same thing.

Good old Dictionary.com. It's very convenient to be reading an article for example, seeing a word I don't recognize, and being able to instantaneously unearth its meaning.

Back before the internet, the Oxford dictionary was a household standard for family game nights with Boggle or Scrabble.

I generally do not prefer the local dictionaries used in India for lack of consistency and quality.

I always prefer the traditional Oxford dictionary for all my reference purposes!

I also love to use Oxford Dictionary, especially the unabridged version. The student version is also great, too use too, and, of course easier to carry around than the unabridged version.

i used an old Collins dictionary, 1981 edition and it was always truly handy to me.

Since the arrival of the internet into our lives, I mostly use online dictionaries, but I don't have a favorite.

Even though I want to share a tip with you; when you need to find what a word means or its spelling, use google to find it out, but do it this way:

define this-word

If you put "define" before your word or term, Google will return its best bet, but also a link to their reference room, where you can find the same word defined by different web sources so you can choose what best matches your needs.

Before I became dependent on the internet for most things, I used to check Merriam-Webster dictionary for unfamiliar words. Those come in very cheap, pocket-sized versions I brought to school just to have an edge over the other students. Lately, it's just google. I still see Merriam Webster online although I usually use Free Dictionary these days.

I have a collection of dictionaries becasue I love them but I usually use The Oxford Desk Dictionary. I also have one of those little contraptions like a calculator but I rarely use it. I never use the online dictionary but I often use the online thesaures. What a miracle for mankind that is for a writer!

I actually bought my husband his first dictionary; he was over forty :grin:

Guest isabbbela

I have always used the Cambridge dictionary! I've heard good things about the Oxford as well, but Cambridge was the one my mom got for me when I started studying English way back, so I learned to use this one better than others.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually use the online dictionary website called Dictionary. It is free and offers a lot of information on a word such as synonym, antonym, sentence example, pronunciation, word history and origin, translation, and so on. It is a great website because I can search any word I want. It is also a convenient way to search for words because it is easier to use than a paperback dictionary. The Dictionary has an application for both IPhone and Android devices, which is a great way to look for new words on-the-go.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally use dictionary.com for the same.

I actually have an app which is able to do give me the words as and when required.

Also, this app provides a very fantastic "Word of the day" section, where you can see the word and its meaning accordingly.

Since high school and up until college, I used Merriam-Webster's. To this day, I still have my copy. Although honestly, I rarely use it anymore. It's just easier to google stuff these days - for both spelling and definition.

• 1 month later...

I use the online version of Miriam - Webster. It is added to my word processor, I can highlight the word.

I like the different options and usage it provides for the word searched.

It is a great source to check spelling, expand on thesaurus.

Since college I use the Merriam-Webster Dictionary in software format or online. My go-to printed dictionary is a battered old Collins English Dictionary from the early 90's, I think.

I am reading your reply and I am smiling. I cannot remember when was the last time that I owned a dictionary.

It used to be mandatory to have one when I was in school. With modern convenience, I have not had a need for a print version.

Whenever I am writing, I do it directly on Microsoft Word and it has a built in dictionary.

Great memories.  :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use the physical dictionary book anymore because it takes me a long time trying to find the word if I'm in a hurry. I usually use the online website called Dictionary, which offers the meaning of the words and sentence example. I sometime use the Webster Dictionary online, especially when I search for some technical terms. The good thing about the online dictionary is that you can listen to the pronunciation, which is a big help to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Websters Student edition very old  dictionary for daily use. The dictionary is small and does not contain more than 5000 words but then it has all the words that you need to know if you are reading simple things, like news papers or books. There is a larger edition of the company but the types are so small that it strains the eyes.

Which English dictionary you use?

In India there are some local dictionaries  also which are useful for English words used in India only.

I like the Qxford Concise, It give you the meaning of words, it also gives you sentences and pronunciations of words, also figure of speech .