Linguaholic

Which English Dictionary You Use ?

ghanashyam

I use two dictionaries when I read or write. The Oxford and Collins. It so happens that the Collins is a pocket dictionary and so it gets used more than the Oxford which I'd prefer to use :smile:.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I use Collins Gem English Dictionary, it's just a small dictionary, and I've had it with me since I was 10 years old, since we were required to have it at school. Until now I still use it eventhough it's worn out, like the pages are disintegrating already, lol.

I mostly relied on the Oxford dictionary because it has detailed explanations of words. I've been using it for as far as I can remember. But nowadays, there are so many online dictionaries I don't use it as much anymore. I now always refer the thefreedictionary for meanings and thesaurus.

• 1 month later...

I depend on the Free Online Dictionary when I'm online, but when I'm offline, I use the Oxford Dictionary. Having said that, I must state that I seldom, if ever, use a physical hard copy dictionary. It is simply too cumbersome to do so in the technological era. It all boils down to convenience.

I have been using Oxford Dictionary since I was very little. Its printed every year by the Oxford University Press in England. I like it because it gives very concise meanings of the most difficult of words. It also has the reputation of being one of the best in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sage. I don't think it's that popular but is definitely one of the best digital dictionaries. Actually, I found it when I was searching a thesaurus. It's a combo: dictionary and thesaurus.

It's free so if you any of you guys want to see for yourselves if it's any good, you can download it here:

http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html

I use Mirriam and Webster. I also love using Thesaurus lately to see other words related to a word I'm looking for. I'm a writer so this one helps me a lot.

• 9 years later...