Linguaholic

What do you do to maintain languages you have already learned?

polybus

Number one, practice. Even if you're just talking to yourself, it's worth it. Just babble away to yourself as this will help your pronunciation, your application of words in sentences (grammar, vocab, memory), you'll practice speaking in everyday situations. Best thing, just speak.

I have a friend who loves learning languages so I can practice my Spanish with him. I think going on language exchange forums also helps. The native language speaker will talk to you in their language while you get to talk to them in English. That way you both learn. I also really like using language learning apps like Duolingo. I even subscribed to some learn spanish twitter accounts that teach you  new words everyday. I guess it also helps to read the newspaper in your chosen language. I used to read the spanish paper (you can find one online). Also like the others said, listening to music and watching TV shows in the language will definitely help.

Guest akasha24

I moved back to my country Hungary when I was 12. I lived in London until that age. A lot of people were very worried that I will forget the English language and they encouraged me to watch a lot of TV. Luckily, I am a singer/songwriter, so I sing and write songs in English. That definitely helped me maintain the language. I also watched a lot of TV and read several books but now I think it's time to visit England soon!  :tongue:

This is something I struggle with. If you can't talk to people in the language, consider watching tv or movies in the language. At least that way you will still be exposed to the language and how it is used in a conversational sense.

I believe there is no other effective way to maintain a language you've learned but to continually expose yourself to it. Listen to songs, watch shows, read books, and talk to people in that language :)