Linguaholic

What's the hardest part about learning a new langauge?

mareebaybay

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The hardest part about learning a new language is finding someone to practice and speak with. usually, people are afraid or embarassed to speak a new language knowing that they're not good at it, I've been there, so what I did was I started talking to myself in the mirror, reading books out loud or saying random stuff on my way to school everyday :)

For me the hardest part was to learn new vocabulary and learn how to pronunce those new words right.  Sometimes memorizing new words and their meaning is hard, specially if you're obsessed with perfect spelling. I learnt english when I was just 16, but I still have a lot to work on... one of the things I've to work on is the spelling.  Lately I notice that I'm checking my spelling even more; I have a lot doubts lately :(

I think learning a language is a life-long process; I've been learning english since I was a teen, but I'm still learning something new almost every day.

The hardest part is being able to master it (speaking, writing, and reading). Some may be good at doing one but not the other. It is very hard to learn a new language and be completely proficient at every aspect of it.

Pronouncing the words correctly would be it. In some language any deviation from speaking a single word would mean something else thus, miscommunication may ensue. Correct pronunciation would give the confidence and comfort in using the new language you learn.

In everyone's opinion, what is the hardest part about learning a new language. My most difficult part about learning a new language is actually speaking the language fluently.

The speaking is also the problem for me . It really is hard especially if you are starting out. You feel like giving up at most times. However there is nothing that is worth something without the effort that is required.

The hardest part is the discipline. Your brain will not retain a language very well if you are not adequately practicing it. For people outside of school and with no practical motivation (like work or traveling), it's hard to put in the hours unless you are really having fun with it.

I think you focused the hardest parts for me. The most difficult is no doubt speaking fluently, I think it's much harder than writing or reading (reading for me is the easiest part). But as thekernel said you need to have great motivation and discipline to learn a language or else you will not make it.

I also agree that the hardest part about learning a new language is the vocabulary. Until you get a sufficient amount of vocabulary under your belt, it's tedious to try to find something you WANT to read in another language. But you can't get more vocabulary if you don't read anything. It's a rather large catch-22.

I find that simply trying to memorize vocabulary lists is boring and incredibly inefficient. I've never been able to stick with anything that way.

I think the hardest part is getting the inflection right.  People can be "fluent" meaning using the right terms and tenses, but not "sound" the part which I think comes with practice AND interaction with native speakers.  My native language is English and although some may have the words right as a second language they can sound robotic.

For me, it's really about finding the time to do as much as I want to do to learn it. I've found that I can listen to Spanish books or podcasts in the morning while I'm working on other things, but formal study is always put on the back burner to all my regular life tasks.

For the language itself, it's speaking it, and the verb tenses that get to me. Actually, the latter may be the cause of the former.

For me the hardest part was to learn new vocabulary and learn how to pronunce those new words right.  Sometimes memorizing new words and their meaning is hard, specially if you're obsessed with perfect spelling. I learnt english when I was just 16, but I still have a lot to work on... one of the things I've to work on is the spelling.  Lately I notice that I'm checking my spelling even more; I have a lot doubts lately :(

I think learning a language is a life-long process; I've been learning english since I was a teen, but I'm still learning something new almost every day.

I agree with what Trellum is saying here. The hardest part about learning a new language for me is being able to learn and memorize new words, especially if you have not been given the opportunity to practice them on a regular basis. I also have to work on pronouncing the new foreign words correctly too. But if I'm placed in a position to practice speaking a foreign language on a regular basis, I find I have no problems doing this.