Linguaholic

Origin of the Word "Tol"

Alfonso

Kamusta tol? Ever wonder where the word tol (bro) came from? Most people would say it comes from the word utol (brother or sister), which is correct but not exactly the complete origin of the word. This word went through many modifications and actually originates from the term "kaputol ng pusod" which translates in English, "cut from the same navel". So the next time your drinking with friends and someone says, "shot ka na tol!" tell the the origin term and how it went from "kaputol ng pusod" to "kaputol" to "utol" to "tol" for a good drinking story.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Thanks! I think that even the word "kapatid" or "sibling" comes from "patid" meaning "to break" or "to cut off" comes from the same type of metaphor. Siblings are like fruits growing and separating from the main mother tree!

Thanks! I think that even the word "kapatid" or "sibling" comes from "patid" meaning "to break" or "to cut off" comes from the same type of metaphor. Siblings are like fruits growing and separating from the main mother tree!

Yes, the Filipino language uses a lot of metaphors in its language. Hulog ng langint translated to English is fell from the sky which means a blessing. Makapal ang mukha translated to English is having a thick face which in Filipino means insolent. Those are just a couple common examples of Filipino metaphors.

Wow this is really interesting! I use the term "tol" a lot but I always thought it originated from the word utol. I didn't know about kaputol ng pusod. Thanks for sharing this! I'll be sure to bring this up in our next drinking session!

As a matter of fact, in formal Kapampangan (another language in the Philippines, yes it is a language and not a dialect) we call our brothers / sisters as "kaputol".

Thanks for this informative post. ;) Keep it up brother!

• 2 weeks later...

"kamusta na mga "tol"? means How are you guys?...All I know it originated from the word "utol" and you are right it means a brother or sister. And the word has no exception and can be use by a man or a woman. I always hear this phrase word from my fellow kababayans in the Philippines  to tell each other "how are you?", or when they see each somewhere else or when by chance they see each other after a long time and when they are in an eating or drinking session and everywhere. This word is use to make somebody feel that they are being thought and remembered all the time.. Just missed the word "tol" and thanks for the post...:)

I haven't heard about the word "Tol", which sounds interesting to me. I didn't know where it originates, which I'm so eager that I have to look up the information online. I don't know if it's an English word to begin with, however, I believe it is not originally from the American English dictionary.

• 1 month later...

As a matter of fact, in formal Kapampangan (another language in the Philippines, yes it is a language and not a dialect) we call our brothers / sisters as "kaputol".

Thanks for this informative post. ;) Keep it up brother!

Very interesting! Especially about Kapampangan as a language and not a dialect. I used to think that the only Language we have is Filipino or Tagalog and the rest are just dialects.  OR maybe I was just absent when it was taught in school.  :laugh:

Nice topic and share mga tol  :grin:, when I went to see this topic about the origin of the word TOL, I didn't expect to learn so much more.

• 3 weeks later...

There are really more to learn from our own language than just speaking it naturally. I never thought about the origin of this word until now.

If UTOL is from KAPUTOL, PUTOL, TOL

KAPATID, PATID

What about DABARKADS? hehehe

• 5 months later...

Kamusta tol? Ever wonder where the word tol (bro) came from? Most people would say it comes from the word utol (brother or sister), which is correct but not exactly the complete origin of the word. This word went through many modifications and actually originates from the term "kaputol ng pusod" which translates in English, "cut from the same navel". So the next time your drinking with friends and someone says, "shot ka na tol!" tell the the origin term and how it went from "kaputol ng pusod" to "kaputol" to "utol" to "tol" for a good drinking story.

Ooh! What an interesting trivia. You're right. This would make good drinking conversation! Or actually any conversation, not necessarily involving drinking. Although this would be pretty cool to mention in a bar.  :grin:

• 2 months later...

Hey, thanks for the info. A couple of months back when I was having dinner with my friends, one of the girls in the group called the other 'tol'. Since then I always heard her call the other tol, and I got curious since the other girls name was Karen. I inquired if it was a nick name, but she replied that its something like 'sis'. Good to know that it can be used for both men and women.

• 2 months later...

I don't really drink, but I do have a close friend that speaks tagalog with whom I can discuss the origins of the word 'tol' with. Thank you for the wonderful piece of trivia. I hope to have a wonderful talk about it and maybe learn some words from him that might stem from that.