Linguaholic

Do you care what others think about the way you talk?

I totally got the question wrong last time, I though the way we talk mean (vulgar, ghetto etc.) I didn't know it was about accent  :shy:

It does matter to me, I only started speaking English and French with people one I got the accent right. I don't like people critizing me or my accent  :bored:

• 2 months later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I believe even though one is quite fluent in a certain language, one can still feel conscious of the way he speaks in front of other people. :) I do care about what others think about the way I talk but not to the extent of losing my self-esteem or confidence. I just think that all of us have flaws and nobody is too perfect in any way whether one is fluent in a language or not. :)

Yes, I do.

I really care what other people think about my English accent and the way I speak English. Because my first language is not English, so I am scared if other people do not understand what i am saying. Also i have an accent, this is not really good for getting a job if this job requires speaking English a lot. This is a motivation for me to study and practice English more.

I don't care as long as I got the meaning across but I do try to be as grammatically correct as I can when I talk to people. Not because I care about how people think but I'm more afraid that I will get worse if I don't continue to practise my speaking skill.

I don't really have a weird or funny accent, so I have never been conscious of the way I speak. And if ever someone criticizes how I speak, then it will not bother me because I don't really care about how others think about my way of speaking.

Though I might feel a little uncomfortable if someone criticize how I talk in a negative way, I don't let it bother me. If my point is very well understood then that is all that really matters :cool:. I don't believe that I should have to change my speech to blend in, otherwise I'd be doing so everytime I find myself in a new setting :confused:.

I used to care what others think about the way I talk when I first learned English, let's say, the first few years when I came to the United States. I got used to it, therefore, I didn't really care about what others think because that was how I could practice my English skills. I wouldn't let them to bother the way I learned English because I wasn't afraid to say the words even though I didn't pronounce them correctly.

Someone posed the question to me once saying "Do you care more about your own grammar or what people think of you when you speak?". This question actually struck me as a really good one.

I have recently started working at a company based in quite a wealthy part of London and a lot of the employees are very well spoken with excellent grammar and pronunciation. I am not from the same kind of area and my language is much more relaxed.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently, how much do I really care what other think about the way I speak? The more I think about it, the more I seem to care. I am going out of my way to try and speak much more like my colleagues and I don't know whether I should or not?

How important is what others think about the way you speak? Do they automatically judge you? Think lesser of you? What do you do when someone speaks in a certain way?

I certainly care about my own grammar vs what others think. I take pride in utilizing proper grammer and English so I know that I should have no others judging me on that. Ironically, I "judge" others on their grammar all the time

I try to speak correctly and overall I don't care, but if you talk weird of course everyone will notice and comment, that's just the way we are.

If it is a foreign language I appreciate that they do comment because that will help me to correct my mistakes and learn.  :cool:

No I don't care what people think of the way I talk. Growing up I always had a deeper and more pitched voice. Some people would say I talked like my nose was clogged up. I don't care what people think of the way I talk, as long as they can understand me.

No I don't care what they say really. Because you can't please everybody, So if they wanna talk let them talk. And furthermore people love our accent because we speak, Patios and that cause us to have a unique sound.

When I'm writing and typing, I feel that I too can express what I want to say to an extremely eloquent and grammatically correct level. When I read over my CV and cover letters I always think they sound much better compared to if I spoke them.

Well, I can certainly sympathize with that experience. Not to mention, you can correct your writing, think it over, make it what you want down to the letter. I often feel a little pressured and put on the spot in person; not only to verbalize my thoughts but all of the more subtle aspects of communication as well. The same hyper-awareness that's helpful in writing is awful in person.

It's not so much that I care about how I talk, because unless I lived in an English speaking country for over 10 years, people would almost immediately hear that I'm not from there. My issue lies in the fact that, while I can easily maintain a conversation in English, I have a hard time finding an accurate translation to some words, which makes me feel stupid, which makes me panic, etc.

Oh well, I guess it's just a matter of time before I have a larger vocabulary than I have now.

Yes, I do care. 

Man is a social animal. So I guess, we can't help being indifferent as to how others percieve you.

Sometimes I feel, all we do in life is for others. For instance,  we dress well, because we want to look attractive to others. We talk in a polished accent and phonetics because we want to sound better to others.

So, yes, I do care about others' opinion and I think it is important to know what others feel about you. It does really matter. 

I think you will be happy in life to the extent others are happy with you.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i do care.....it's necessary for me that others[the society]does think of me as a respectable right minded lass.... life is not just composed of me alone,,,the society is also part of me and i am part of the society too!!

I do because I know my spoken English isn't as great as my written English, so sometimes it's a bit awkward when I for example spend some time exchanging emails with someone and then when we meet in person, I feel like I can't communicate as well as the person is used to.

When I started learning English yes, but it was in school so I was shy to talk English in front of my friends because they would make fun of me. Later one I just started not to care anymore because the only way I can improve my English is to start talking in English during class. Currently I have the problem in German I am shy talking German to other Germans as I am afraid of making a grammatical mistake.

Being able to speak and be understood is a great part of communication, If your audience/listeners can't understand you, then you won't deliver your message. I, on my part do really care about what others think about the way I speak. If my listeners think of me highly then that equates to me speaking well.

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't care if people like or dislike the way I talk. Much like I don't care if people like or dislike me. At least for the most part. It always feels a little bit better when people like you. The way I talk is a part of who I am and I'm never going to change it for somebody else. I might change it for myself though.