Linguaholic

What, if any, poetry do you enjoy?

thekernel

I've recently indulged myself in the works of James Douglas Morrison (aka Jim Morrison). After reading his biography, I was incensed to search out the words he wrote but never sung. It's very imaginative, tough to deduce meaning from, but vivid in its imagery.

What poetry do you like to read?

I've recently indulged myself in the works of James Douglas Morrison (aka Jim Morrison). After reading his biography, I was incensed to search out the words he wrote but never sung. It's very imaginative, tough to deduce meaning from, but vivid in its imagery.

What poetry do you like to read?

I love poetry and I write it a lot . I realluy do not have a preference of people that I read from. However, there is this Ghanian poet Kofi Awour that I love. Whenever I read him I feel like I am in the place that he is writing about .

I love poetry and I write it a lot . I realluy do not have a preference of people that I read from. However, there is this Ghanian poet Kofi Awour that I love. Whenever I read him I feel like I am in the place that he is writing about .

Awesome, I don't suppose you'd have any you'd like to share? I'm always interested in what people are creating, as well as what inspires people to create. Kofi Awour is not a name I've heard but I will look him up. How did you come across a poet from Ghana?

I love poetry, and I'm a poet myself. One of my favorite poets is William Wordsworth. I also love Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost. Some Caribbean poets that I love are Derek Walcott and Lorna Goodison. My favorite African-American poets are Maya Angelou and Langston Hughes.

A friend of mine is a very gifted writer who writes poetry on her spare time.

I love her poetry, which is mostly inspirational based on her own experiences gathered through several decades.

I would need to ask her for permission to post some of her works so you could judge yourself about her writing.

I love classical poetry especially the works of Edgar Allan Poe. I am no fan however, of the popular Maya Angelou type of poetry. I actually don't know why, it just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe someday I'll get to appreciate them better.

I have a somewhat clever grandson. He is 17, reads poetry, and loves to write haiku. I've read a little of his work, when is he is willing to share, and it's pretty good. Not sure if he'd let me share but maybe. He also writes songs. He is very clever when it comes to these pursuits but do not set an algebra problem in front of him! :bored:

We are looking for a haiku writing contest. Does any one know of any?I think he is good enough to be published but I am his gram, so who knows?

I enjoy Pablo Neruda’s poetry because it’s romantic, heartfelt, straight to the point and honest. You can find it in his poems those things you may want to say to the person that you like or love as well as the things that you cannot express as it should be.

I am not much into poetry but one particular poem stuck with me for several years now. It's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot.

Here's a link: http://people.virginia.edu/~sfr/enam312/prufrock.html

I don't know what about it exactly that speaks to me. I think it's the indecisiveness of the character, the social fears he has, all beautifully described with imagery that touches me. I love flaws in characters and I think J. Alfred Prufrock is one very flawed individual.

Most of the poetry I have been exposed to was during high school as it was a part of my academic program. It was then I learned about William Wordworth, he's an interesting poet and his use of language was just as intriguing. However, my favourite poet has been Margaret Atwood, a local Jamaica poet. Really enjoyed reading her work and found a new respect for the art of poetry all together.

I enjoy all poetry that has meaning to it. I hate poetry that has no reason to actually be written. I actually enjoy reading poetry when it speaks to the mind.

I feel the same way, not just about poetry, but lyrics as well. I enjoy thought-provoking verses over abstract or meaningless ones. Popular hip-hop has a huge problem with this, although artists like Kendrick and J. Cole are working hard to undo that. They write some very high-concept music that hasn't been on the scene for a while now.

I've been interested in reading and writing poetry for as long as I can remember. I go through phases but overall I don't really favor any particular writer too heavily as far as poetry is concerned. I like a lot of deep or even 'dark' or morbid works.

I have enjoyed reading poetry for years, ever since I was a teenager.  Some of my favorite poets include the "confessional" poets of the 1960s, especially Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton.  I also like the poetry of Jean Valentine and W.S. Merwin.

As for the classic poets, Emily Dickinson is my favorite.

I love poetry that rhymes. I used to write poetry together with a friend. I write one sentence,he wrote another so it's a poem created by two people. It was interesting,I never saved the work.

My all time poem is

Love - Loy Bowman -

Love is like a lump of gold,

Hard to get, and hard to hold.

Of all the girls I've ever met,

You're the one I can't forget.

I do believe that God above,

Created you for me to love.

He chose you from all the rest,

Because he knew I would love you best.

i read song lyrics.  that counts as poetry!  i love zack de la rocha's lyrics.  he is the singer for one day as a lion and formerly sang for rage against the machine.  i also appreciate trent reznor's lyrics.  some other lyricists that come to mind for their poetry are fiona apple, ani difranco, john frusciante, mos def, talib kwali, james maynard keenan and bob marley.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy poetry that has romance involved in it. Romance always gets me, especially when it is in poetry form. I like poems that I would say to a girl myself. Those are always the best poems. I like Shakespeare especially, but I mean who doesn't?

So many great poets have already been mentioned.  I like poetry that tells a story both within, but also outside of the words used.  I have read poetry that is dark, but it leaves so much outside of the written word, it makes me think.  I have read these from just regular people who have posted on their blogs and the raw emotion just screams that they have a story to tell.

• 1 month later...

I am an upcoming poet myself but I love the works of Emily Dickinson, Rumi, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Pablo Naruda and Oscar Wilde. :) Modern poetry nowadays are quite interesting to read and learn. While we are quite used to rhyming poetry, free verse and other forms of poetry are also interesting. :)

I do compose poems myself, and I also like reading them, but I don't like the poems that make you think, "what the hell is he saying?" like the writer tries to be deep and use metaphors, but it makes what they are saying hard to understand. I like my poems simple and straight to the point.

I've never read much poetry but decided recently to take a free online class so I can get into the game.  Its a beautiful way of expressing oneself and the styles of poetry are seemingly endless.  I am enjoying the class that I have been taking to the point I might try my hand at writing some!