Linguaholic

Need Arabic speaker to identify this dialect

BWL

I was on the metro at Kuala Lumpur (a popular destination for Middle Eastern tourists) and I heard an Arab lady talking with her family. She said something like "Nga3adu!" (I use the number 3 to represent the letter 3ain). Which part of the Arab world would she and her family be from? I believe she was telling her husband and kids to sit down.

I think the use of "g" for "qaf" would be Khaleeji dialect? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you're right, they're Khaleeji and what they meant was "let's sit down". You seem to know a lot about Arabic since you know about the numbers and the letters.

Meera, you're right too, I'm from the Maghreb region (Morocco) and we do use g in most cities but our accent is totally different, you might wanna consider it a language. By the way I just noticed that you speak Arabic, I'm glad to have you here, both of you  :smile:

Yes you're right, they're Khaleeji and what they meant was "let's sit down". You seem to know a lot about Arabic since you know about the numbers and the letters.

Meera, you're right too, I'm from the Maghreb region (Morocco) and we do use g in most cities but our accent is totally different, you might wanna consider it a language. By the way I just noticed that you speak Arabic, I'm glad to have you here, both of you  :smile:

Haha Salaam Alaikum Joedirt!, No I don't speak Arabic fluently. I took it at university for four years but I'm no where near fluent. :P

Haha Salaam Alaikum Joedirt!, No I don't speak Arabic fluently. I took it at university for four years but I'm no where near fluent. :P

Walaikum Salam Meera (my name sounds so inappropriate -_- ) I'm surprised by your experience with Arabic. Trust me, you know too much for 4 years and you should be proud, there are people that have been living in the middle east for years and still don't know Arabic as much as you do with 4 years at a university :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I did a linguistics course in university and had learned about Semitic language like Arabic and Hebrew. I totally forgot most of what i learned about Arabic but yes, I had some Arab-speaking friends telling me about the use of numbers like 7,3 and 2 to represent Arabic sounds that do not exist in English and other European languages.

Nice to meet you!

Greetings language lovers :D

I am highly assuming that they were speaking Khaleeji. However, there are some Palestinian dialects use the same "qaf" as it is used in this case.

This simply reminds me while I was in the market in Jerusalem and heard some women talking. At the very beginning, I though that they were local, but they turned to be Khaleeji tourists. A lot of their spoken words were very similar to a certain Palestinian dialect here.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I heard an Arab tourist say something like "I'm from Gatar". I guess this is a typical accent in a large part of the Arab world. I also have Tunisian friends who pronounce the "qaf" sound as it is in Classical Arabic but in general their dialect is much harder to understand than Egyptian or Lebanese.

• 4 weeks later...