Linguaholic

Which language should I learn? Korean, Persian (Farsi) or Mexican-Spanish?

elingston

Hello! I'm Deniz, 17 years old with a not-so great memory. I do have the motivation for learning another language, but not really the time as I am taking college and high school classes. I was thinking thirty minutes a day for seven days a week sounds like a plan. That's 168 hours per year; 3 hours 30 minutes / per week. If I were diligent, the numbers would be higher. Do you think 30 minutes is impractical? I don't have to be fluent in the third language, but I would like to be proficient. 

I speak fluent English as it is my native tongue and I know a good chunk of Turkish, though I should seek improvement. It is my second language; my parents speak fluent Turkish. 

I live in USA, Texas. Majority of the people in my school are Spanish-speaking. If I were to learn Mexican-Spanish, it would benefit me as most hiring jobs pick the person that knows both Spanish and English over the person that knows only English. It is also the 2nd most spoken language. I will be taking college Spanish 1 and 2 during the summer as it is a requirement for my Associate's degree. I'm not at all interested in the language itself, even though I have many close friends who speak Spanish. I rather learn any other language, but I do realize the benefits of Spanish.

However, I'm a sucker for Korean dramas as I have watched at least 220+ Korean dramas (consisting of 16-120 episodes that are an hour each). I have picked up a few Korean phrases, but I'm no where near a beginner level of the Korean language. I adore the language and I would love to learn Korean, especially since I plan to visit Seoul once I am in my 20's. Another thing is that my father speaks Persian (Farsi). It is his native tongue, however he only speaks English and Turkish around the house. If I were to ask him to practice Persian with me, I know he would be willing to. Though, he does not know how to read or write the language because he forgot over time. All of my dad's side speaks Persian, so I would be able to get closer to them.

I am interested in learning either Korean, Persian (Farsi) or Mexican-Spanish. Based off the languages I already know and the background knowledge you know of me, which language do you think would be easier for me to learn? Or the best, in your opinion and why.

Here is my opinion as an advanced (C1) speaker of Spanish, an upper intermediate (B2) speaker of Korean, and a speaker of 10 different languages. 30 minutes a day, considering all your additional exposure and the classes you plan to take, is enough to take your Spanish to a decent, useable level in 2-3 years.

30 min/day is also probably enough to get your Turkish to an advanced level in a couple years.

30 min/day in Korean would be a waste of time because there is too much to learn and you would forget most of it with only 30 min/day of reinforcement. You want to be in a situation where you can devote several hours a day to it, especially if you'd like to reach a good level in less than a handful of years.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the best language to learn is the one that aligns with your interests, goals, and the practical aspects of your life. If you're still undecided, you might explore introductory lessons or resources for each language to get a sense of which one resonates with you the most.                                                    scratch geometry dash