Linguaholic

Do you think online tutorials are effective?

They are effective, but not as much as you think they are. Online tutorials can be free and don't require you traveling outside your home. I find learning a language face to face with a teacher greatly improves your ability.  If you have questions you can directly ask since you have a teacher.

I concur. A face to face training can do wonders for you, but you have to bring it in your life and do it practically.

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

It depends on what kind of tuition you are talking about, I mean if it is about just learning and needs no particular visual demonstration or anything else. If I talk about myself, I am a CA student and most of my classes are being uploaded to the website and we are allowed to watch them by streaming the video, it is also an online tuition. So if you ask my opinion I would say yes its great as it saves time and lots of money.

When it comes to online tutorials I think you have to pick what helps you get better. There are so many programs that will claim they can help you. It is up to yourself to pick a program that will help you learn to speak the language you are studying. I suggest doing research before using an online tutorial.

Personally, I don't find online tutorials effective. I don't know... I really dislike reading long passages of text on my computer. I get distracted really easily when I do that. So whenever I use online tutorials, it never ends up working for me.

But hey, everyone is different. There are people who learn amazing stuff using online tutorials.

It depends upon the kind of online tutorials you are referring to. I have had experience teaching English using the phone, Skype, and also in a classroom setting. The kind of teaching I did over the phone and thru Skype provided interaction between the teacher and the learner. If you are referring to passive learning thru video tutorials, I can say that they can be effective, if it caters to your learning style. But then, unlike having an instructor or consultant during your study time, you will not receive immediate and guided evaluation.

My students who used this medium ranged from 5 years old to the elderly--as in up to 65 years old. Though we have limited time to study, almost all the students provided positive feedback and showed dramatic improvement since their language needs were assessed before, during, and after our sessions.

I personally think that online tutorials can be very beneficial as you can go at your own pace in the privacy of your own home. You will have more confidence as no one will be watching you! You can go back over the bits you are unsure about.

The only thing which may hold you back is that fact that you can not practice speaking to someone else in the language, in other words, have a real life conversation.

I would say it is a good idea for starting off in learning a language definitely.

Sure, it can be effective. But this mostly depends on the effort you are putting in. Most of the time, you learn at your own pace and some will learn more or less than you would, exactly for this reason. If you are using all the resources available, plus if you try to talk with people who are proficient or learning the language you are interested in, it will surely be more effective.

I got through college by using you-tube tutorials for things the teacher could not make me understand--my fault, not theirs. Statistics was the hardest class I ever took and I used tutorials all the time! I skimmed by miraculously. :wacky:

They can be pretty efficient, but the results will depend on the student, it's similar to taking certain medications; some might give you some really bad side effects, but other people report no bad side effects.  So in the end it really depends on the kind of learner you are.  Each person learns in a different way, and some people need extra help when learning a new language...  I never needed any kind of help when I started learning english in my own, but I don't expect other people to be able to learn the same way I did! 

So, if you think online tutorials can work for you, then you can just give it a try!  That way you will know for sure. 

Well, it's all about how serious you are when it comes to learning a certain language. There are people who learn other languages just by watching videos on youtube. So I guess, the method doesn't really matter as long as you are eager to learn. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I find the pronunciation factor and the grammar factor very difficult to understand in online tutorials. It's practically impossible to be corrected correctly (excuse me) while taking part in an online tutorial!

It depends on your preferences. People learn at different paces and methods. Some prefer face to face classroom setups while others read on their own. So if you're comfortable with online tutorials, there shouldn't be a doubt why it won't work for you.

They are definitely effective, although I think they should just be treated more as an introduction to the language so you don't get too overwhelmed when speaking with and learning from another person, which I think comprises the bulk of the weight when it comes to learning the language in terms of conversational use. Like most other skills, reading about it and practicing by yourself is fine and it can work, but it usually takes exchanging ideas with other people that makes you better.

I mean there are many other websites that are offering this right? And I'm not sure how many people actually enrolls themselves to one of these tutorial sessions but with all the English language resources already available online, do you think online tutorials will still be of big help? I'm thinking of enrolling to one to further improve my English language but I seem to feel the youtube lessons to be okay ha ha! I know, there are many free tutorial videos in youtube and I really love watching them. I don't know about improvement yet but do you think online tutorials can be good for us? Or are we better off just watching tutorials and other materials? Just a thought because I've been seeing a lot of tutorial ads online.

Online tutorials can evidently be helpful in teaching a student a new language. It is however based upon two main factors. The willingness of the student to learn and the proficiency/ability of the online teachers. You enroll in a tutorial because you want someone to teach you who will work at the pace at which you are able to learn, and who is able to correct you right on spot/at a timely manner. You need someone (in real-time) to assess your progress and test you. 

However, if you are more of the type to learn via watching videos. No problem. Work with your resources.

Online tutorials are very effective especially those that are in Youtube. Based on my own experience when I was still in my mother country I already started watching videos in Youtube about the Korean language and it helps me a lot to learned some of its basic words and phrases. So now that I am already studying Korean language I can adapt easily because I had known and stored a few of them in my mind...

Online tutorials can be extremely helpful provided that you can find a good one.  I've learned a lot taking tutorials and I like going along at my own pace especially when I am struggling with subject matter.  Nothing can take the place of a good instructor but a good tutorial is a good learning aid.

It really depends on the tutorial. Some tutorials use really good techniques and others don't. Some are even worse than the Internet, whatever they teach is totally wrong sometimes. With some of those programs it's all about profit, so you have to be very careful where you enrol at. Others actually provide you with what you pay for, in terms of tests and similarities so I guess in some occasions they might be helpful.

The tutorials come in many versions. The video tutorials which I've used before to learn other things other than languages feel pretty much like sitting in a class and listening to a teacher teach. I found out written tutorials harder to follow because some writers are rather verbose and make you lose interest long before they make their point. However it's my opinion that the efficacy of online tutorials depends entirely on attitude. If you start off with the right attitude, you'll find yourself seeking for more information where you don't understand something. And what do you get from that? More knowledge. So I guess online tutorials are effective because they at least get you hunting for more information about what you learning.

Yes, I am sure that they are very effective. Although it depends on the tutorial, of course. Always search for reliable reviews before you pay for any paid tutorial. I am learning Spanish myself, and I found the site 'prospanish.co.uk'. It costs like $26 for four levels. I am using the course for a month now, and believe me when I say that it is very good and effective.

Yes, I think they are effective. It's easy to learn when you can search around the internet for more information. But the course has to be good and made by someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are talking about online language tutorials, they could somehow help you learn the language but it still is quite different if you are enrolled in a classroom setting. Me for instance is an online English tutor teaching Koreans. It all depends on the student if he is willing enough to learn and does much effort. They sometimes blame their teachers if they get stuck to their level for a long time :)