Linguaholic

What English word do you seem to say the most?

Jaxter

Are there any words or phrases you seem to use more than others on a daily basis? I know when I was doing presentations in school I said "Um" a lot. I know "Um" is not really a word but you get the point.  :laugh: I would try so hard to be aware of it but it sometimes just slips out!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

My husband says I say 'you know..' a lot mainly because when I try to to explain something and he doesn't get it or he just wants to mess around with me,I'd go 'you knowwwww...'and then do some hands signal to explain the object which from what I was told 90 percent of the time I just draw a square from both hands no matter what the object is  :grin: . In fact they just told me that last week. they were like 'ALL YOU DO IS DRAW SOME SQUARE. YOU'D TRY TO ASK ABOUT WHERE YOUR WORK OUT STAYBALL IS AND IT'S ROUND BUT YOU DRAW A SQUARE'  :laugh:

Are there any words or phrases you seem to use more than others on a daily basis? I know when I was doing presentations in school I said "Um" a lot. I know "Um" is not really a word but you get the point.  :laugh: I would try so hard to be aware of it but it sometimes just slips out!

I can relate.  Such words are known as "conversational crutches."  They are the words we use when we're trying to formulate our thoughts as we speak.  Words like "um," "uh," as well as "like" and "you know." 

I tend to say "uh" in everyday speech.  I always try to not get into the "like" or the "you know" habit.  It's tough because we hear it all the time, and it's the perfect "conversational crutch."  I think as we speak we feel a need to fill up the silence while we're thinking.  At least that's what happens to me and why I fight against slipping into these habits. 

I feel like I say "oh rats!" A lot. Im not sure if this is actually a real phrase because I have never heard others say this. I have no idea how this started I just say this phrase when something goes wrong or I stumble. I guess you could say I am a fairly clumsy person so this phrase comes out a lot.

I use the words "Oh" and "okay" the most XD You can use those words in pretty much every situation. I don't think I can go a day without saying (or typing if I'm online) those two words.

i also say "yeah" all the time.  that is kind of my standard response to everything.  i rarely talk so i usually provide concise answers as i don't enjoy the act of talking.  for me, less is always more.  it's funny how i really enjoy reading and writing but have a distaste for talking.  i'm like holden caulfield in J.D. salinger's catcher in the rye.

There different words that I use a lot when typing and speaking. For example, I end up using the word 'really' a lot when I am talking to someone online. On the other hand, when I am talking the word 'seriously' gets used a lot. Oh and I remember using 'um' a lot when I was in school. I don't think I do it so often anymore.

That's so funny, I used to use the word "um" so much! My cousins used to always make fun of me for it, and the more they focused on it, the harder it was to stop! I would say that one of my most used English words is, "Seriously?" I'm pretty sarcastic, so if someone does something I find the least bit amusing, that's usually my response!

I am not going to any school or college but O.K. is word that I must be speaking more than enough times. O.K. would mean to me," I am comfortable." or " I have no objection." or just, " I am helpless."

I've always noticed a few words that I tend to use a lot at a certain points in my life. Thinking about it, right now I use the words about, likewise, and the phrase your kidding a lot in my conversations. I think it has to do with your subconscious picking up terms of people you talk to a lot, or what you read and watch on media. 

Guest akasha24

People have mentioned words above that I use a lot. I use "um" a lot, especially if I don't really have it in my mind what I want to say. I also say "so yeah" after nearly every sentence :D Another thing I say too much is "you know". I should really stop over using these :) I know how annoying it can be.

I would also say "um" a lot during presentations, it came to a point where my friends counted the number of times I said it, and the results were embarrassing. I tend to injure myself a lot by walking, I stub my toes numerous times around the house and whenever I do so, the strangest things come out of my mouth, but the most frequent one is "holy jumping monkeys!" Not exactly you're everyday phrase, but that's what I say.  :laugh:

Recently, I've noticed that I was using the word "so" a bit too much. It's as if I'm starting every sentence I type with so when I'm chatting with friends. I'm sure they've noticed too, but they're just too kind to tell me it's getting annoying.

I have recently noticed that I use the word "well" a lot. I find myself starting many sentences with "Well, ..." even if it's not appropriate to do so. I also say "um" a lot, too.  :laugh:

• 4 years later...
On 9/29/2013 at 2:58 AM, Elizabethr6144 said:

I feel like I say "oh rats!" A lot. Im not sure if this is actually a real phrase because I have never heard others say this. I have no idea how this started I just say this phrase when something goes wrong or I stumble. I guess you could say I am a fairly clumsy person so this phrase comes out a lot.

On 9/29/2013 at 5:53 AM, JoeDirt said:

The English word I use the most is... Umm... It's... The word is "sh*t" I can spend a day without using that word, but somehow I only use it when I'm alone. It sounds crazy but, yeah, I talk to myself a lot  :shy:

On 10/6/2013 at 12:09 PM, Preya_M said:

I would also say "um" a lot during presentations, it came to a point where my friends counted the number of times I said it, and the results were embarrassing. I tend to injure myself a lot by walking, I stub my toes numerous times around the house and whenever I do so, the strangest things come out of my mouth, but the most frequent one is "holy jumping monkeys!" Not exactly you're everyday phrase, but that's what I say.  :laugh:

Do you guys have ADD? Don't worry, I have ADD too, and I can relate to what you feel since I also do them on a regular basis (well, except the "holy jumping monkey" part). As for me, ummm... Yes, it is "um"...