Linguaholic

Do you over use "LOL" when you write to your friends?

Jaxter

Yes, I'm totally guilty of this. I find that many people use it when they aren't sure of how they're supposed to reply to the message. I find myself doing that too. When I'm not completely sure what my friends are talking about or unsure of how I'm supposed to reply I just use LOL.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I hardly use "lol" in English, but when I'm writing in Japanese on social media I find myself dropping a wwww or 笑 (both mean "laughing") at the end of my message or comment.

No idea why I can't stand writing it in English but write it a lot in Japanese...must be something wrong with me lol.

I once knew someone who named their dog, "ROFL".  They pronounced it as "Raw-Ful".  I should add that this was in a college town and he was another student.

Haha! That's a nice name for a dog. Almost sound like a dog barking. Very appropriate. Hahaha

@Topic - Yes. I do that a lot. I would often combine it with "hahaha" or "hahahahaha"

but I don't get when people would add "s" at the end of lol. which would make it lols. What would the "s" at the end stand for? XD

I can't remember the last time I text LOL, never mind say it! It did use to be funny but now I don't get it. I just put 'haha' instead now. 

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who is not english. Do you use LOL? Is it the same in your country or do you use something else? I would love to know this.

I. Refuse. To.

I don't mind if people do, but for crying out loud, I'm a male in my mid-20s with a career. I'm not typing that unless it's ironic.

I honestly tried to avoid it as long as possible. Then my mother started using it in texts to me. So I just gave up, and decided it was more fun to play around with than to get mad about.

So yes, I do use it often.

I used to use it way too much. Then one day a friend called me out and I tried to use it less frequently. Truthfully though, there are rarely times when I actually laugh out loud while texting.

haha, yes that's so true. I can't remember the last time I sat there and was laughing out loud to something somebody has text me.

What did your friend say to you in college to call you out?

haha, yes that's so true. I can't remember the last time I sat there and was laughing out loud to something somebody has text me.

What did your friend say to you in college to call you out?

I think the acronym "LOL" has such a bad stigma these days that even if I actually do literally laugh out loud at something I read in a text, I still don't want to actually type LOL. I'm not even sure what the right thing is to do in that situation. I think I usually write something like "I just literally laughed out lout at that", which has the added bonus of making a joke out of it.

I'm guessing their friend told them that they use the word too much and told them to cut it out. I've been there when a friend of mine called out another friend on how often they use LOL, ROFL, BRB and the like and it was something to that effect. Actually, I think they asked if the other friend (a guy in his twenties) was a 12-year-old girl on MSN, but close enough. :D

I have to say, I do use "lol" when talking to friends. Though I don't use it a lot, I'll type it if something really funny happens. In a normal sentence, I would most likely just write "That's funny xD" but sometimes if I'm in a good enough mood, I'll write "Lol, that's great!" I don't like people who overuse it, as in, in every sentence. "Lol, what are you doing?" "Lol, that's cool" "Lol, me too".

I only use lol if something literally makes me laugh out loud.  There's varying degress, though.  A small chuckle may warrant a haha, while side-splitting laughter will earn you an ROTFLOL!!!

I dislike people who use it in every sentence because it waters down the phrase and makes it meaningless.  However, one of my friends pointed out that if he doesn't put enough lols in his messages, people think he's being mean.  This probably stems from him overusing it in the first place, but it does bring up a valid point.  Emotions are hard to convey via text.  I myself use sarcasm a lot, and right before I send a message I'll realize the recipient might think I'm being serious.  That's when I'll append a ;) or a jk so people know I'm joking.

I think the acronym "LOL" has such a bad stigma these days that even if I actually do literally laugh out loud at something I read in a text, I still don't want to actually type LOL. I'm not even sure what the right thing is to do in that situation. I think I usually write something like "I just literally laughed out lout at that", which has the added bonus of making a joke out of it.

I'm guessing their friend told them that they use the word too much and told them to cut it out. I've been there when a friend of mine called out another friend on how often they use LOL, ROFL, BRB and the like and it was something to that effect. Actually, I think they asked if the other friend (a guy in his twenties) was a 12-year-old girl on MSN, but close enough. :D

I actually don't think LOL has a negative stigma attached to it, I just prefer not to use it. I just think it use to be something that I would use all the time on msn when I was 12. Everyone was saying LOL back then but we have all grown out of that and yet adults and other people still seem to use it haha:P

I use it when "Haha" is too long to write on but only on the telephones. I usually just say "haha" or depending on how funny it is, "ahhaha". Or when I'm writing out a paragraph and I want to finish typing I would throw in a 'lol' here and there.

I used to be this way, using "lol" to end virtually every thought. But I grew out of it. I used to hash tag things a lot on twitter, but I don't do that anymore.

I'll replace "lol" with "haha" sometimes, but generally I've phased it out of constant use. But yes, oh yes, I used to use "lol" to DEATH.

I used to be anti-lol because that meant nothing to me, but recently I have adopted it because there are not many better ways to says that you actually found something funny or you laughed.  :party:

Oops, I should have subscribed to this topic before saying something so controversial!

When I say it has a negative stigma, I mean that at least among my peer group (20-something university students and graduates), "lol" sounds like something used mainly by 12-year-olds on MSN and is something a lot of us want to distance ourselves from. Most of my friends prefer to use some variation of "haha" to indicate jokes, and somewhat rarely at that.

That isn't to say it has a purely negative stigma in the rest of society, just maybe my peer group like to think we're above using the same internet slang we all used 10-15 years ago when we actually were 12-year-olds on MSN...

I really don't mind being associated with a particular age group, I'm beyond that already. I do get my time to get to stuff, like dah for example, it took me quite a few months still I started using it.  :sweating:

I try to use chat speak as little as possible, no matter whom I'm speaking to. But of course sometimes some acronyms slip out, I noticed that I use e.g. acronyms like lol more as a filler than to express my laughter. If something really brought a tear to my eyes I will use an emotion, if something doesn't appear funny to me I use lol to not act impolite.

:laugh: I over use it. My favorite text is, lol haha. I use that in almost every text. It doesn't even have to be funny for me to use it. It is almost like its instinct or a habit. Sometimes I will notice and think, "hmm, I just lied, because I really didn't laugh out loud".

:laugh: I over use it. My favorite text is, lol haha. I use that in almost every text. It doesn't even have to be funny for me to use it. It is almost like its instinct or a habit. Sometimes I will notice and think, "hmm, I just lied, because I really didn't laugh out loud".

Yeah, I often use it even when it's not a funny situation. It just seems to roll off the tongue. I even say it sometimes instead of texting. It sounds ridiculous but still.