Linguaholic

Do you over use "LOL" when you write to your friends?

Jaxter

In Japanese we say "w" instead of "lol". I think it's short for "warau" which means "to laugh." It's really, really easy to overuse. Sometimes when I'm texting my girlfriend I notice that we're both writing it after nearly every sentence. I want to reduce it, but every time I DON'T write it I feel like my tone is excessively serious...

Most of the time, I write "Haha" instead of "LOL". That's just my personal preference. The only time I use "LOL" is if it's extremely hilarious, but I tend to write it as "LOLOLOLOL" which usually means that I'm literally laughing out loud.

I never use lol when writing to my friends. My friends will often use this when texting me and I find it can be quite irritating as she uses it when she doesn't want to give a proper reply. If it is used in addition to a proper answer I don't see a problem with it but I probably would never use it with my friends.

Hmm... I don't think I ever over use LOL. Sometimes I use 'Haha' or 'Hehe'. I'm guilty of using too much emoticons though  :laugh:

Over use of not, if some people don't mind you using it all the time, then there's no problem right?

No. I don't use terms like LMAO or LOL or ROFL because I'm not a texter... well no. I text, but I don't use text speech. Rather I tend to use regular English. But then again I honestly feel like anything I can write is generally something I can just say...

Yes I am in fact a bajillion years old and I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow while carrying all 19 of my siblings and milking a cow. It was really complicated.

I don't like writing 'lol' or 'LOL', I prefer to use 'haha' instead especially when I am texting on facebook. It's just easier for me and I got used to writing this instead of 'lol'.

Ugh, yes. Unfortunately I do use it and it makes me cringe so much! I started saying it and it stuck, both when writing and speaking. I don't even think about it until I've said it out loud.

I mostly use it ironically - if something isn't really THAT funny, I'll just write 'lol'. If it actually is funny I'll write it with capital letters.

I actually use the acronym "LOL" way too much.  Even when something isn't funny in the first place I'll still use it just as a placeholder for something I don't want to type or for something that I don't know how I would reply to.  It's pretty good, but I should get used to not using it as much.

I don't use LOL at ALL. I don't like it and I think it's very inexpressive. When used, it gives the impression of sarcasm rather than amusement. So is YOLO. I've noticed people stated to abuse this acronyms and there are more and more acronyms created. Some of them are useful, but some of them have no real purpose.

I have to agree with the use of 'ha-ha' more often than LOL. To be fair, I never say LOL (I wouldn't say LOL in a conversation in which I am having with someone face-to-face). Of course 'ha-ha' wouldn't be mentioned either; but within writing, it is a better expression of laughter than LOL.

I have to agree with the use of 'ha-ha' more often than LOL. To be fair, I never say LOL (I wouldn't say LOL in a conversation in which I am having with someone face-to-face). Of course 'ha-ha' wouldn't be mentioned either; but within writing, it is a better expression of laughter than LOL.

I agree with you there, 'ha ha' is better used than 'lol', although I do used 'lol' more than I do 'ha ha'.

Yes I do use it but not excessively just for the sake of it. I only use it when I have actually found something funny. I only really use over txt. It saves time.

I tend to be pretty conservative with my usage of lol. I think I send a text with it in there once every couple days when I'm being sarcastic or the message deserves more than a "haha" as a reply. On the other hand, I have friends who send texts riddled with lol and it gets to be pretty annoying, I try to avoid doing this as much as possible.

I use "lol" a lot, especially when I'm texting with someone or talking on facebook chat. It helps when you're trying to convey that you're joking about something, or that you're trying to be funny. I find that a lot of the time, sarcasm and other forms of humour can be lost of text message and on the internet.

I think I'm addicted to using 'LOL'. It's like my fingers automatically go to L O L with every message I write, sometimes even if it's not funny (normally I would insert LOL here). I think I'm all LOL'd out now. Lol!

Definitely! I use 'lol' a ton, to the point that it feels funny if I don't say 'lol' for a few messages in a row.

I feel like it's really useful - it lightens things, especially when you're talking to a friend you don't know too well, and can make blunt or neutral sounding messages sound friendly. It's like using a lot of smilies.

I do use it a lot, but when normally conversing with people I find myself laughing or chuckling a lot during the conversation. So it really just seems to be an extension of how I normally would be talking in real life.

I don't use lol per se, but I tend to use lel more and more often recently (i'm not one of those people who start and end sentences with it though)

LOL! is over used these days I would say, even though I use it to this day. It is kind of sad how the English language has been modified just for convenience sake. I mean I have heard of schools and some universities allowing what we call 'Mxit' talk. Which is basically shorten of words and turning them into a bunch of letters, like 'by the way' is now btw, 'please call me' is now pcm, ' what are you doing?' is now wud? It just saddening to think that our children of today are growing up with this being the way you should write, instead of writing out in full.

I have a really difficult time using "lol" when writing to a friend. Even though I understand that it means "laugh out loud", I still read it as a word rather than taking it for what it means.

It is just not natural to me. I prefer to say "ha,ha" or "he,he" depending on my mood/ feeling at the time and the topic at hand.