Linguaholic

Do you over use "LOL" when you write to your friends?

Jaxter

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, haha is good too, but at the same time how many hahas do you write?  :tongue:

I think LOL or lol is a really good expression, equals a smile in written language and I use it often.

I never use "LOL" at all. It irritates me, and also annoys me when others use it in a conversation with me. But I am polite and bear with it. :)

I think it's too fake most of the time. I much prefer someone telling me how they feel or a simple "haha or hehe".

I don't exactly overuse it, but I can't say I'm not using "lol" in day-to-day matters.

I admit, I use "lol" when speaking to my friends (sometimes), but I really use "LOL" when I find something extremely funny. Most of the time, we usually use "haha" or "HAHAHA" (if it's really funny) instead. But aside from this, we barely use "lol".

I'm guilty for using even when I don't even chuckle. If something is even mildly amusing to me then I'll use LOL. I'll use other terms like LMAO or LMFAO if something is really funny.

Yes I do use LOL most of the time when I am writing. Nowadays it comes when I am talking too. I think internet is influencing me slowly. I don't know whether it is good or bad yet.

Sure, I use it all the time when talking to my friends! Honestly, when I am talking to friends I never try to be "proper" with the way I talk.  I have never seen the point to worry about my spelling and grammar when talking to them.

I think I over kill it sometime but like how are you suppose the break the ice. It get awkward when you say something and they don't know how you said it because how you say it can change the meaning of the sentence. I use faces a lot too because back when I played this game, there was many people who would do this because if was fun. Now when I chat with people or text, I use faces so much. It's weird now but like it's a habit that I have.

I try to use it only once in my thought either at the begining or end of the sentence.  I hate when people use lol as their only response to something I said, it makes me feel like the conversation is one sided.  Usually when I text someone or email them, I would like good solid feedback as the response!

No, I don't overuse the word LOL when I write to my friends. In fact, I never use the word LOL. I'm a 'haha'' girl. It's only one character longer so doesn't take that much effort to write.

I am guilty, of over using lol. Most of my friend ,really hate this, so I tend to scroll back ,reread what I have written, then immediately change some of my "lol " to hahaha or hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I use LOL in chats and comments commonly when I get to talk to my friends, colleagues and connections in social networking sites but in letters and emails, rarely. Is there something to it when using LOL excessively? Some people don't even know the meaning of LOL or what it stands for.  :grin:

Def. :)

I use it when I say something corny, and note that I joke a lot.

Wehehehe.

But everytime that I'm really happy, that genuine happiness is reflected not by LOL, but by a very long "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

I only use this when I am sending a text message or communicating on the internet through social media or a blog.  It is not something I use very often because it is very informal.

Actually, I don't use "LOL" at all when speaking with friends. Either that, or I only use it in a sarcastic manner. I certainly over use other things, though, such as smileys and emoticons.

Instead of acronyms, I tend to express my laughter through "AHAHAHA" types of phrases.

Man, this is definitely something I need to get rid of. I think I used to say LOL in real life sometimes too. It's just childish, I'd rather use smileys or something these days.  :tongue:

I don't get to use LOL nowadays, for reasons I really can't understand. Instead, I simply overuse "HAHA" - small caps for generally funny things and big caps for the extremely funny ones. It can go from haha to HAHA to HAHAHAHA.

I use it as part of what I am talking about if I really am laughing, but it drives me crazy when people respond with just lol.  I take the time to type out something to my friends and all I get in return is an lol, I can't stand when that happens.

I have tried using the LOL while texting or chatting with my friends but I never really get used to it because I am always using hahaha.

One thing that I'm really confuse about is when my friend writes LOL to me, I am not sure whether to say it like LOL or hahaha especially when I'm reading her message aloud.

Yes, it's fun actually. I mean when writing it's really hard to convey your exact emotion, my exact emotion. So I use everything available, everything that I know of that could convey accurately what I feel. Besides, they are my friends. They know me and understand me.

I only use "lol" when I want to express that it's not (that) funny, because I think this acronym has lost its real meaning long ago. It is way too overused, and most of the times doesn't really mean that the person who wrote LOL really found something funny.

I don't remember the last time I've ever used it. There's no real reason why I don't use it, but there it is, I don't use it at all.