Linguaholic

Do you over use "LOL" when you write to your friends?

Jaxter

i definitely over use it. but most of the tyme i'll just write "haha" i think its because i laugh a lot in real life so it just has to come out like that. whats worse is that sometimes you'll catch me actually verbalising the word 'lol' when i'm talkng to myself haha. hey, i just said 'haha' lol, and 'lol'!

I can't even begin to count how may times I use that word while conversing with my friends. It has just become a habit to use 'lol' often now even when you are not laughing out loud lol.

There , I used it again.

'LOL' is such a fleshed out term. But yes, people (including me) still use it. A LOT. Mostly over text conversations or social media such as Facebook or Twitter.

I am proud to say that I have never used "lol." I don't know what it is about it, but I do not care for it. Perhaps it is what I consider the gross overuse of the phrase. My friend's mother loves it, but she does think it means "lots of love."

I don't over use it, at least, I don't think I do. I say "haha" when I'm really laughing at something, and "lol" when something is funny but it doesn't draw as much laughter. Which I guess is ironic given the meaning of the acronym.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I use haha because it seems more like a laugh when reading it. Lol doesn't sound like a laugh so I just write how I talk. I wouldn't say "lol" while having a conversation. So it seems less real to type it all the time.

I am definitely guilty of overusing "lol" when communicating through text.  I know that it can annoy people (and I actively try to avoid doing it), but I think its a habit that's hard to break.  Since it's hard to convey tone with text, I end up using "lol" when I feel the need to make the recipient more comfortable with what I am saying.  Emoticons are another thing I overuse for this reason.  :wink:

Yea, the over usage of the word 'lol' annoys me nowadays so I try to prevent using it.

Nowadays I only use LOL on something really funny that makes me laugh in real life. In other cases, I use 'hahahahahaha' or 'that's funny!'

It sounds friendlier and makes it seems like you're more committed in the conversation.

I am glad to say that I never overuse "LOL" when I'm writing email.  I've been online for years and it is something I never started doing.  I *have* been known to tease people who use it when writing to me by saying things like "Oh, that must mean lots of love... aren't you sweet?!"  :laugh:

I do have something I shouldn't use so often, though... it's "hehe" when I find something amusing.  Now that I'm thinking about it, that's probably as annoying as "LOL" is to some people!

Instead of "LOL" I've always just said something like "that made me laugh!"  or "now I'm chuckling."  But I know some people look for shortcuts in everything they do, so typing those words out wouldn't be acceptable to them.  :amazed: