Linguaholic

Relearning a Language

AnythngArt

Like many people, I learned French in high school and have used it some on my travels to France. However, now I find myself wanting to reimerse myself in the language in a big way. Anyone have any suggestions of how to pick up again? Of course, I remember basic words and phrases, but I need a refresher course.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I had the same experience as you. I did not like French in school and only did the minimum I needed to in order to pass the class. Years later I learned Spanish and had a great experience. Because of that I revisited French and tried to learn it again on my own.

I would suggest if you feel like you don't know much anymore that you get a course to learn on your own and start essentially from the beginning, but the good news is you will fly through the course. You already have most of that knowledge in your head you just need to reactivate it.

Good luck!

You really need to take a refresher course. It also happened to me. I learned german, Then I didn't use it for awhile since I went back home. Now I forgot most of what I learned. I think speaking and learning it everyday play a great role in learning the language. Maybe reading, watching movies are helpful and there are many online free tutorials that can be used.

I incidentally had the same doubts in my mind. I also learnt French in high school and since then lost touch. I have been able to keep pace with certain other languages but not French!

Some great tips in this thread. Would look to put them to practice!

Like many people, I learned French in high school and have used it some on my travels to France. However, now I find myself wanting to reimerse myself in the language in a big way. Anyone have any suggestions of how to pick up again? Of course, I remember basic words and phrases, but I need a refresher course.

I agree with others on this thread who have recommended a refresher course.  Because you previously knew the language it would not be as difficult as starting over.

I also suggest immersing yourself as much as possible here and now.  Listen to French media -- Internet radio, videos on YouTube, movies, television, whatever it available.  The Internet makes this much easier to find such sources.  Interacting with people in person or online or via Skype would be great, too, especially if they are native speakers willing to help you out.  You might be able to find such people through this forum in the French section. 

Also try reading the language.  You could start with something simpler like online content -- news reports, social media, etc. -- just to get reacquainted with the written language, and then move on to more substantive content such as literature and nonfiction.

I was fluent in Spanish years ago, and lost much of it.  Because of the demands of my time I have not devoted a lot of time to relearning, but I find that even listening to Spanish and occasionally reading does wonders. 

So if you put effort and focus into relearning, there's a lot that is possible! :)

In our city we have groups that meet and practice different languages. There are groups of people trying to learn English, Spanish, and French that I know of. There may be others represented but these are the ones I have been to. Basically they meet once a week and speak in whatever language they are trying to learn. A non profit runs it and our tourism department recommends it. So check and see if that is available where you live. If not, see if the community college has something. Our's have classes called conversational...(insert whatever language you want to learn).

You're going to have quite a bit of a leg up re-learning something as opposed to learning it the first time. I know as I am trying to re-learn Spanish, some things are just like I'm learning them for the first time -- they seem to take a white to stick into my brain. Others, I'll see it, have to look up a meaning, and they click like they hadn't ever before.

Maybe you should try to find some pen pals to practice with on Skype :)  It's even better if those ''pen pals'' are also advanced students of this language.  Because that way is easier to find more topics to talk about... because when you speak with a native speaker of the language you're trying to relearn, then you might face a dead end. So to keep the interest alive, the best thing you can do is to talk with someone who is also interested in practicing the language :)

You can also watch movies, watch videos on youtube or even listen to music in that language!

I've done the same thing with Spanish, and what I decided to do was take one basic online course. The textbook actually has all of the information in it that I've forgotten, so once the class is over with I can continue to work on the activities (with my memory refreshed in regard to basic knowledge) and further my current knowledge from there.

I am of the belief that the best way to relearn the language is to find a speech community that speaks your desired language and integrate with them. They don't necessarily have to be native speaks as once they have a good command of the language then they should be able to help you relearn the language.

This happened to me with Spanish....at the time I was learning it I didn't really appreciate the experience or how much I would want to retain the information later. Now I know some basics (and some totally random things) but not enough to be fluent and it's frustrating. I would suggest treating it as if you are learning it for the first time- build on the things that worked the first time, but basically look into courses, excuses to use the language frequently, etc. until it's fresh in your mind.