Linguaholic

Allo' allo'

Henrik

Allo, everyone. Yes, that is indeed from one of my favorite sitcoms, like, ever (Allo' allo'). Great show. Those Brits sure know their historical comedy.

Anyway, my name is Henrik. I'm a Swede expatriated to the United States (straight into the Bible Belt. Culture shock!) by way of marriage. Before that, I spent my time in the Swedish Army, lastly in the Royal Guards. In my free time I like to chase after vintage suits and clothes. It's one of my big hobbies in life, inspired by my time in the Royal Guards. I also, tied to this, have a collection of vintage cufflinks, currently numbering roughly 110 pairs.

Now, more to the subject at hand; Learning languages. My father, whom I for a very long time didn't have any contact with, I reconnected with a couple of years ago. While I grew up in Sweden, he is now a German citizen and lives in Bad Grönenbach. I love that place. I have never seen any more beautiful country than southern Germany. Gawd.

So, anyway, I've played around with it less seriously before, and before that tried to learn it in school but ended up mostly sleeping through class.  Now I want to seriously learn German. I already speak Swedish obviously (and obviously English), and because Swedish and German stem from the same archaic language tree somewhere down the line I can recognize a lot of the words. But it's still difficult for me, especially the grammar. I'm planning to get DuoLingo (again) on my tablet, and read one of the ol' "Learn German in X amount of days" books.

I'm also planning to try and speak German here and give translating the occasional Der Spiegel article a whirl just for fun. That sort of thing.

Somewhere far down the horizon I'm rolling around the idea of learning to speak more languages after German, too. Maybe Russian. But one language at a time!

Anywho, I look forward to talking to you guys. Wish me all the luck I'll need!

6 hours ago, Henrik said:

Allo, everyone. Yes, that is indeed from one of my favorite sitcoms, like, ever (Allo' allo'). Great show. Those Brits sure know their historical comedy.

Anyway, my name is Henrik. I'm a Swede expatriated to the United States (straight into the Bible Belt. Culture shock!) by way of marriage. Before that, I spent my time in the Swedish Army, lastly in the Royal Guards. In my free time I like to chase after vintage suits and clothes. It's one of my big hobbies in life, inspired by my time in the Royal Guards. I also, tied to this, have a collection of vintage cufflinks, currently numbering roughly 110 pairs.

Now, more to the subject at hand; Learning languages. My father, whom I for a very long time didn't have any contact with, I reconnected with a couple of years ago. While I grew up in Sweden, he is now a German citizen and lives in Bad Grönenbach. I love that place. I have never seen any more beautiful country than southern Germany. Gawd.

So, anyway, I've played around with it less seriously before, and before that tried to learn it in school but ended up mostly sleeping through class.  Now I want to seriously learn German. I already speak Swedish obviously (and obviously English), and because Swedish and German stem from the same archaic language tree somewhere down the line I can recognize a lot of the words. But it's still difficult for me, especially the grammar. I'm planning to get DuoLingo (again) on my tablet, and read one of the ol' "Learn German in X amount of days" books.

I'm also planning to try and speak German here and give translating the occasional Der Spiegel article a whirl just for fun. That sort of thing.

Somewhere far down the horizon I'm rolling around the idea of learning to speak more languages after German, too. Maybe Russian. But one language at a time!

Anywho, I look forward to talking to you guys. Wish me all the luck I'll need!

Warm welcome Henrik!

Has been a real pleasure reading through your introduction. Very interesting indeed. As you are studying German now, you might want to have a look at our German Language Learning resources here: Resources

If you have any questions about German or German Grammar in particular, feel free to ask me. 

Have a great day.

L