Linguaholic

How easy is it to learn German

Hi everyone, 

I am from Germany and at the moment I am on an exchange year in the United States. I just wanted to ask you guys if you could tell me if it is easy to learn german? I am very interested in this topic and really would like to hear some of your experiences with learning the german language. It would be really nice if you could answer me. Thanks. 

-mara 

7 hours ago, Marausa said:

Hi everyone, 

I am from Germany and at the moment I am on an exchange year in the United States. I just wanted to ask you guys if you could tell me if it is easy to learn german? I am very interested in this topic and really would like to hear some of your experiences with learning the german language. It would be really nice if you could answer me. Thanks. 

-mara 

Hi Marausa

So is German your mother tongue and you would just like to know how hard it is for foreigners to master the German language or am I missing something here?

Best

L

On 4/24/2018 at 5:10 AM, linguaholic said:

Hi Marausa

So is German your mother tongue and you would just like to know how hard it is for foreigners to master the German language or am I missing something here?

Best

L

Yes German is my mother tongue and I would like to know how it is for foreigners to master the german language. 

On 26.4.2018 at 12:43 AM, Marausa said:

Yes German is my mother tongue and I would like to know how it is for foreigners to master the german language. 

I am Swiss. Would you consider people from Switzerland speaking High German as foreigners learning German? You probably wouldn't right. However, not all the Swiss people speak very Good High German. We learn it in school and sometimes use it at work, however at home and on mobile phones and so on we use Swiss German (or one of the other official Swiss languages namely French, Italian or Romansh). Especially when it comes to pronounciation lots Swiss speakers are a little bit off and pronounce words in a pretty different way :=) Moreover Swiss people use a lot of archaic words and mix lots of foreign vocabulary (mainly french) into the German language while speaking. 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, linguaholic said:

I am Swiss. Would you consider people from Switzerland speaking High German as foreigners learning German? You probably wouldn't right. However, not all the Swiss people speak very Good High German. We learn it in school and sometimes use it at work, however at home and on mobile phones and so on we use Swiss German (or one of the other official Swiss languages namely French, Italian or Romansh). Especially when it comes to pronounciation lots Swiss speakers are a little bit off and pronounce words in a pretty different way :=) Moreover Swiss people use a lot of archaic words and mix lots of foreign vocabulary (mainly french) into the German language while speaking. 

First of all thank you for your comment. And yes I know what you mean. I have a friend who comes from Switzerland and she can speak german but there are still some words that are different. And when she starts talking in Swiss then it’s hard to understand, I can only understand some words. And trying to read something she wrote in Swiss is even harder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am trying to learn German now and I am a native English speaker from the US. I think German is relatively difficult. I have learned some Spanish before and I think German is much more difficult due to the complicated cases (dative, accusative, etc) and having to memorize the articles for all nouns (der, die, das). This is especially tough because we don't have any equivalent in English! I also find pronunciation in German to be challenging, but I'm getting much better than when I started learning. :) But, that being said, I think German is easier than say, Russian or Japanese. So, it's all relative! 

Good luck on your exchange in the US! where are you living for your exchange? 

3 hours ago, Ava said:

Hi! I am trying to learn German now and I am a native English speaker from the US. I think German is relatively difficult. I have learned some Spanish before and I think German is much more difficult due to the complicated cases (dative, accusative, etc) and having to memorize the articles for all nouns (der, die, das). This is especially tough because we don't have any equivalent in English! I also find pronunciation in German to be challenging, but I'm getting much better than when I started learning. :) But, that being said, I think German is easier than say, Russian or Japanese. So, it's all relative! 

Good luck on your exchange in the US! where are you living for your exchange? 

agree with almost everything you said...I would also say that Japanese and Russian are overall a little bit harder to learn than German. But yea, it always depends on what languages you are already speaking and which mother tongue you have, etc. 

By the way, welcome to Linguaholic!

• 2 years later...

It will depend a bit on what your native language is. If you are a native Dutch speaker, German will be one of the easiest languages for you to learn, since there is a ton of overlap between the two, and even a fair degree of mutual intelligibility between the two. If you are a native Cantonese speaker, however, learning German isn’t gonna be all that easy.

Regards : german language classes in pune