Linguaholic
hrup

some questions about language teaching

Hi there, 

I am a foreign language teacher in my country. I have some questions to you experienced teachers out there.

- 1.Should I teach the class only in the studied language? If I do, don't grammar explanations become too complex and overwhelming? You have to understand both the grammar and the new words, used to explain it. Especially in lower levels, and especially for students, who haven't learned the words well enough. Also, sometimes quite a bit of new words are given in one class visit; if you explain all the word meanings in the studied language, it will take too much time and we might not be able to take the material for the day. 

- 2.Should they translate the texts to their mother language, or not? Of course it's good to teach them to think directly in the new language, but I've noticed that without translation the students quite often don't understand very clearly the meaning of some complex sentences or idiomatic expressions. Is there a point in reading, if they don't understand? And if they can't understand a text, how are they supposed to understand when someone is talking to them face to face? 

Thanks a lot! Any responses appreciated. 

Hi,

I think the best way to teach a new language is to have balance between the language you're teaching and your student's native language. It will be hard to learn something you don't have proper understanding of. It will be really helpful if they translate the text to their mother language and vice versa. It's going to be a long process and will take a lot of patience, especially if the language you're teaching them is very new to them. Also, I think it will be helpful to let them practice by using the language in class little by little. You can also try giving them with different phrases or sentences every day that they can practice when they go home. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi! I just read your post and I think that the answer also depends on the age of your pupils!!!

I teach in Primary School and I only use English in some classes of very young pupils because I think that this resembles the way they would have if they went to another country! They would be forced to get the language and everyone says it's the best way!!! It doesn't matter if they don't understand everything! They will eventually! Everything will fall into place! Of course you need to go slower but in the long run it will be better. As for translation, I give them the meaning in their mother tongue (writing it on the board) but I never ask for the translation of a whole text. It is not a good method as it doesn't encourage them to think in the foreign language!!! It is a bad method as languages do not match - structures are different, the order of words is different so it actually confuses them!!! 

Adult students need translation but don't give in!!!! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By andrea10
      Let me introduces myself!   My name’s Andrea Polverini, I’m Italian, I’m passionate about languages and I’m the founder of pa Language Services. My company offers English, Spanish and Italian online language courses and provides translation and subtitling services (English>Italian, Spanish>Italian).   I’ve been for over 15 years an English and Italian language tutor. Thanks to my job, I had the opportunity to live in countries such as Venezuela, the UK and Spain, where I moved in 2004 and where I still reside.   During all this time as a professional language teacher, I’ve been so lucky to teach students of all ages, levels and moved by different learning objectives. I couldn’t fail to observe how a good amount of those learners would eventually quit learning a language because they simply couldn’t fulfil their objectives. Some of them would actually label themselves as “bad at languages”.   Well, to cut it short, I strongly believe that learning a language is just like acquiring any other skill in life. It’s a lengthy process, you need to be motivated and put a lot of work into it. But said that, I’m also convinced that we can all learn!   As human beings, we’re all different and we learn in different ways. What we need to find out is what works for us.   Besides that, we should set some achievable objectives for ourselves. Reaching them will boost our confidence and that’ll push us forward.   Finally, we should all just focus on our learning trajectory. Never mind other learners. Even though some people might seem to be picking up a language quickly and effortlessly, that doesn’t mean that you’re not making any progress.   Through pa Language Services my mission is to help those who think they can’t learn a language such as English, Spanish or Italian. Through video conferencing lessons, you’ll be able to receive tailored training, scheduled around your busy agenda and from the comfort of your home or office.   So in case you believe that you’re not good at languages, that you don’t have enough time to devote to learning or that you reached a stage in life which makes it impossible, just get in touch with me and I’ll do my best to prove you wrong!
    • By Aliciaa
      Hi everyone! 
      I am currently conducting research on effective second language teaching. I would highly appreciate your input on the subject through this survey. 
      https://goo.gl/forms/4SUjJQmc3iFELFwq2
      All responses are anonymous.
      Please let me know if you have any further questions or would be interested in reading/discussing the paper once published.
      Alicia H 
    • By Paula.Cab
      Could somebody help me to translate this text into French?
      If you are native speaker is great, but if you are not and you have a good level it is also super nice. Thank you a lot !!

• By Vasant Darji
      Language school is one of the best platform  to learn different languages of world for example Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Malay, Vietnamese, English, French, German and many of the famous languages. language school.io provide  internship program, Luxury courses and many other program.
    • By Artolini
      Please help me translate this newspaper magazine text from German to English. Just translate. Then I will try to analyze each sentence one by one. Thank you in advance, I'm new here, it's great to be here ;D