Linguaholic

A word used for an amount of carrots

Marieke

I am familiar with “botte de carottes,” but a CD for advanced French phonetics that I am using contains a phrase that sounds like “une nid de carottes,” or more like “unie de carottes” in a grocery list.  With no transcript for this section of the cd, I am puzzled.  The grocery list includes amounts for the other items.  “Nid” is masculine, so “une nid” is wrong in any case.  What would sound like “unie” or “une nid” that would indicate an amount of carrots?  Hoping for help.

6 hours ago, Marieke said:

I am familiar with “botte de carottes,” but a CD for advanced French phonetics that I am using contains a phrase that sounds like “une nid de carottes,” or more like “unie de carottes” in a grocery list.  With no transcript for this section of the cd, I am puzzled.  The grocery list includes amounts for the other items.  “Nid” is masculine, so “une nid” is wrong in any case.  What would sound like “unie” or “une nid” that would indicate an amount of carrots?  Hoping for help.

Interesting question. Would it be possible for you to upload the audio for that part of the CD? Would love to listen to it. Could it maybe be "blinis de carottes"

Best, 

L

12 hours ago, Marieke said:

Please give me a day or so to figure out how to upload a sound file.  I should be able to do that!

5 hours ago, Marieke said:

Please give me a day or so to figure out how to upload a sound file.  I should be able to do that!

sure. It might be easier for you to send me the file. I can upload it for you later on. Ok? I will let you know my email address in a private message.

Best

L

It appears I have uploaded the recording for you.  The clip is only 19 seconds:  The word I am not understanding is at the very beginning, I think, of the grocery list.  Hoping you can hear it clearly!

french question.wav

It appears I have uploaded the recording for you.  The clip is only 19 seconds:  The word I am not understanding is at the very beginning, I think, of the grocery list.  Hoping you can hear it clearly!  Just in case the sound file fails to open here, I shared the audio clip directly to you by email from Dropbox.  

5 hours ago, Marieke said:

It appears I have uploaded the recording for you.  The clip is only 19 seconds:  The word I am not understanding is at the very beginning, I think, of the grocery list.  Hoping you can hear it clearly!  Just in case the sound file fails to open here, I shared the audio clip directly to you by email from Dropbox.  

Hey Marieke

It is pretty hard to hear. But my guess would be that the person is saying "Une livre de carottes". 

Une livre = un demi-kilogramme

And just before that the male speaker is saying 1 (un)....and after "Une livre de carottes" the person is saying 2...so the male speaker is numerating the answers. 

Google Search for "livre de carottes"

Thanks for taking time to listen and respond.  The poor recording quality shortens the utterance slightly, so if I can get a better quality recording, I will send it.  I had considered “livre” a few days ago, because it has the long “i” sound, but listening repeatedly to the original recording caused me to reject that as a possibility.  Still searching!  

10 hours ago, Marieke said:

Thanks for taking time to listen and respond.  The poor recording quality shortens the utterance slightly, so if I can get a better quality recording, I will send it.  I had considered “livre” a few days ago, because it has the long “i” sound, but listening repeatedly to the original recording caused me to reject that as a possibility.  Still searching!  

I see. I also had the feeling that it is slightly cut off. So this is just a problem of the audio file that you provided or is it like this in the Original file as well? I still do think that it could be "livre". I don't see many other possibilities. I guess the more you listen to it, the harder it gets :=)

Yes, it could be “livre” if the original recording is somewhat compressed.  The original is less compressed than the one I made.  It is odd to me that all the spoken material on the 3 cd set (advanced phonetics) is “clear as a bell” with the exception of this one phrase.   Oh, well!

• 4 years later...

Good day, I'm new here, but hoping the site will help me improve my French. I hope you won't be disappointed that for the life of me I can't think what the speaker means by "une nid de carrottes". However, I have looked around a bit and I've found something interesting in Reverso's forum. There are two relevant sentences. In one the speaker speaks of "un nid de carrottes", which suggests the word may indeed be "nid" despite the wrong article being used. In another sentence though, the speaker says "une nid (de verdure)" so it appears for some speakers "nid" is feminine.

I agree that it doesn't sound like "une livre". Anyway I think carrots are more often sold as a bunch rather than by weight. One of Reverso's example phrases is "un nid de poires", so I think one could be reasonably certain what is meant "nid", and probably "une nid". 

Jolly interesting question.

I don't know how to copy the audio, but perhaps you can find it with this link:

https://context.reverso.net/translation/french-english/une+nid+de+carrottes