Linguaholic

Why do most people consider grammatical cases to be hard?

Ailcua

I've read in some language forums and even heard on some people I know that this is something that they're having difficulties with. Of course there are rules (depending on the language I guess) that we need to learn and apply, and there are exceptions to those rules as well. On my case I find it time consuming instead of difficult. What do you guys think?

• 2 months later...

I think too much grammar knowledge also  makes it harder to continue the convo sometimes as you're always thinking "I shouldn'thave said it like that. It should have been present perfect instead of past simple." for example. it gets easier with practice though . Listening activities also help a lot to adapt to the vernacular.

19 hours ago, Mats Norberg said:

Cases force us to be aware all the time what is the subject, object or some other sentence element. This stress can be quite exasting when you're just want to keep a convesation going. Especially if you're native tongue lacks cases. Always having to append case suffixes to every word. You'e not used to it.

so you are going to have lots of fun with Finnish, as it comes with lots of cases, right? :=)

• 2 months later...