Linguaholic

What's the rarest language you tried to learn?

Ailcua

Do you ever challenge yourself and learn a rare language like Basque or Icelandic? I think this would be really fun.

Basque is a language with unknown origins and is mostly used in Northern Spain and Southern France, while Icelandic has a very archaic and is basically spoken by around 330,000 people in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm interested in Icelandic because of how little it's changed over time. Native speakers can almost understand Old Norse. I'm also interested in Romanian. But there fewer resources for rare languages. I like Duolingo as a starting point and they don't have an Icelandic course yet. And I can't find much to read in either language compared to how many books are on Amazon in Spanish/French/German/etc. So I'm interested, but it's just harder with less to go on.

I wanted to learn Icelandic for a while. To me, it is not very "rare", since I am Swedish and the languages are quite similar (but different enough for me to hardly ever understand someone speaking/writing in Icelandic). Since Icelandic is the most similar to the Old Norse, that was the main reason for my interest in the language.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been dabbling in Navajo and Warlpiri for a few years now. Both are quite complex and significantly different from more familiar European and Asian languages. Let me know if you want to know more! :) 

3 minutes ago, BWL said:

I've been dabbling in Navajo and Warlpiri for a few years now. Both are quite complex and significantly different from more familiar European and Asian languages. Let me know if you want to know more! :) 

WOW, BWL is back! What an honor. WELCOME!

Just now, linguaholic said:

WOW, BWL is back! What an honor. WELCOME!

Hi! thank you, the honor is mine :) Was terribly busy these past couple of years. 

How are you doing ?

Just now, BWL said:

Hi! thank you, the honor is mine :) Was terribly busy these past couple of years. 

How are you doing ?

I am doing fine! I had a hard time these past couple of weeks (was sick) but now I feel much better! Hope you are doing good as well! Where are you now?

2 minutes ago, linguaholic said:

I am doing fine! I had a hard time these past couple of weeks (was sick) but now I feel much better! Hope you are doing good as well! Where are you now?

Glad you are feeling better! So many people are getting sick these days, it's scary. 

I'm in Malaysia and am staying put for a while thanks to all the craziness in the world today.

I finally have time to get back to my language studies and have just published my first ebook.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think I've ever tried to learn any rare languages before.
Probably both of my native languages are rarer than any languages I (tried to) learn(ed).

• 3 months later...

I'd love to study Euskera (Basque language), I went for a class in my city and it was amazing, it's completely differet to other languages we speak in Spain. even so different to English!

Another reason is because I'd love to live there, the Basque Country is so beautiful and their gastronomy is delicious, I went to Bilbao many years ago and I felt as if I was at home :wub:

Is here anybody who speaks Euskera?

• 4 weeks later...

As I've been in India, I tried learning this rare language called Badaga, native language of the tribes in Nilgiris(mountain region in Southern India).

• 1 month later...