Linguaholic

¡Hola a todos!

bzylich

Hi everyone!

I started studying Spanish in middle/high school and recently had the opportunity to continue learning Spanish in college, studying abroad in Paraguay and Spain. I really enjoy learning languages, although sometimes find it hard to make time for language learning while working and studying.

I am currently pursuing a masters in computer science, and I am interested in pursuing research that combines computer science and language learning. Of particular interest to me is the potential for chatbots to be used by language learners as a way to improve conversational skills without the added pressure of talking with a native speaker. Do any of you have experience using chatbots for this purpose (I know at least Duolingo/Mondly have this feature)? If so, what chatbots did you use, and what did you like/dislike about them? If not, do you think this would be helpful, and what would your expectations be with respect to the chatbot's capabilities?

Thanks,

bzylich

5 hours ago, bzylich said:

Hi everyone!

I started studying Spanish in middle/high school and recently had the opportunity to continue learning Spanish in college, studying abroad in Paraguay and Spain. I really enjoy learning languages, although sometimes find it hard to make time for language learning while working and studying.

I am currently pursuing a masters in computer science, and I am interested in pursuing research that combines computer science and language learning. Of particular interest to me is the potential for chatbots to be used by language learners as a way to improve conversational skills without the added pressure of talking with a native speaker. Do any of you have experience using chatbots for this purpose (I know at least Duolingo/Mondly have this feature)? If so, what chatbots did you use, and what did you like/dislike about them? If not, do you think this would be helpful, and what would your expectations be with respect to the chatbot's capabilities?

Thanks,

bzylich

Welcome to Linguaholic.com!

Chatbots is an interesting topic. I used mondly for some time and they also do have chatbots. The functions and capabilites of those chatbots there are very limited though...so I didn't quite enjoy it that much. 

Best, 

L

17 hours ago, linguaholic said:

Welcome to Linguaholic.com!

Chatbots is an interesting topic. I used mondly for some time and they also do have chatbots. The functions and capabilites of those chatbots there are very limited though...so I didn't quite enjoy it that much. 

Best, 

L

Thanks for the welcome!

If you don't mind me asking, what specifically didn't you like about Mondly's chatbots and what, in your opinion, would make a chatbot engaging for language learners?

Best,

bzylich