Linguaholic

How did you first start to learn German?

evapfromm

Since I am a native German speaker, I never went through the process of trying to learn German. However, my American friends and my boyfriend tell me to try and teach them all the time. It usually ends up with them attempting to say a few words, awkwardly stumbling through the tough pronunciations, and giving up. How did you go about learning German? Do you have any tips or ideas I could share with them?

• 3 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think that is pretty much like any other language, hard work. If you don't have a teacher (if you are learning yourself) audiotapes are a must, that's how I did it.  :smile:

• 2 months later...

I came to Germany to study Biomedical Engineering so I got admitted in one of the schools that teach German, math, physics so I get the requirements to enter a German University. They gave us intensive teaching every day 3 hours of German and sometimes 6! It helped me a lot really and then I just started reading and watching everything in German which helps a lot too

• 1 month later...

I teach my boyfriend German by exclusively talking in German to him, while I place different things in his hands and say: "Das ist ein Apfel, und das ist ein Loeffel..." And when we go for walks I point at all kinds of things and ask him to repeat after me. Basically I teach him as if he were a kid, and he loves it. We also look at children's books and comics. It's a lot of fun. It's amazing how much knowledge he has accumulated in this way.  :wink:

I teach my boyfriend German by exclusively talking in German to him, while I place different things in his hands and say: "Das ist ein Apfel, und das ist ein Loeffel..." And when we go for walks I point at all kinds of things and ask him to repeat after me. Basically I teach him as if he were a kid, and he loves it. We also look at children's books and comics. It's a lot of fun. It's amazing how much knowledge he has accumulated in this way.  :wink:

Sounds great! It seems you are a really good girlfriend as well  :grin: He's a lucky guy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was admitted to this high school last year, and German is a mandatory subject at school. I wasn't even interested on it and I thought it would be boring but lol hey, I think I am starting to like it. But I haven't learned much things because I've only been learning German for 8 months >,<

Back in high school, our foreign language options where Spanish, French, and German. Majority of my schoolmates went for Spanish and French. Guess I wanted to feel "cool" and hipster-like back then, I chose to learn German. Haven't stopped learning ever since. I'd read books in German and would translate some of the words. Sometimes, I'd listen to German songs and watch movies in German with English subtitles. In retrospect, choosing German was a pretty dumb move: Spanish is the second most commonly used language in the US, French is widely used in some African countries, and let's face it, it's a pretty romantic language to learn. If I wanted to make use of German, I'd have to move to a German-speaking country-- or to a country that uses Hochdeutsch. I know they use another dialect in Austria and Switzerland. But hey, not complaining, I'm having fun with learning German.  :wink:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I studied it in college.  I got to take the first year over the summer, then the second year over the school year.  My first year class was very aural based, they got us talking more than just reading which I found very helpful because I struggle with getting what I can read and understand on paper to work when I'm speaking because I am more of a visual learner than aural. It really helped to have that added emphasis in my area of weakness.

I'm learning a language that is a lot like German, but I can honestly say I envy those who have to learn German instead, since this language I'm learning... let's say the spelling makes no freaking sense.  I totally hate the pronunciation; makes no sense!

So by the time I learn this I'll be able to understand some German ;) I think I'll understand what most German people say.