Linguaholic

What Happened To Cursive Writing ?

ghanashyam

My cursive writing is good because my school teaches me french and we wrote french in cursive way, I don't think it's necessary to know how to write in cursive because you're not required to. A lot of people write in cursive way just to show that they know how or to show that they're fancy.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I live in Kentucky and I believe they are cutting it from the curriculum as well (besides knowing enough to sign your name in cursive). However, I think most kids in my area can still look at cursive and be able to read it since it's so similar to print. I think this is why they are starting to cut it, since it's optional and so similar to the more popular alternative. I also think it is a shame like most of you, it's such a beautiful way to write and just adds class to writing.

Where I live, I think my generation was the last to learn cursive in the public school system.  We learned to write in cursive at the start of third grade.  Up until my undergraduate career, I actually preferred to write in cursive as opposed to manuscript.  I'm really not certain why I stopped writing in cursive once I had started my college courses considering that both forms of my writing as just as (il)legible.

I suppose I can see this from both sides of the issue.  While I can see how impractical learning cursive is compared to many other skills, it's not as if everything we learn and do is for practicality's sake.  I agree that there's a certain aestheticism to it that printing lacks.  I guess if I were to complain about schools cutting anything, it would be with how some systems axe the arts, but I guess that's just me...

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in elementary, we were taught cursive writing but just for a little bit. I believe this is still the case today. Just a few lessons on cursive writing and from it's up to the student whether to write in cursive or in print. My handwriting is so much more legible in print, but yeah it's sad that cursive writing is being cut altogether from the curriculum.

When I was in third grade they taught us cursive. I have never had to use it again since then, except to read other people's writing and to sign documents. I really don't think there is much of a point in learning cursive, because it isn't used much anymore. I know a lot of historical documents were written in cursive, but textbooks will include a typewritten version of them. I've always thought that cursive varies too much and is too sloppy to be used much outside of personal notetaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Cursive is being pushed aside because of computers and all the technology. Cursive was used a lot for documents and letters. Now, people no longer write in cursive because they have computers,phones,etc. for all that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to respond to an old post, but something happened today relevant to this topic.

I'm 40, and when I was growing up (in the US), we actually had a handwriting class as part of our normal school day. We started learning cursive in second grade, and this class was part of the curriculum all the way until the end of 6th grade.

Anyway, I have 3 children, and none of them have ever had a handwriting class. My two oldest are long graduated from at least high school, but my youngest is 12 and just started the 7th grade this month. He also has never had a handwriting class, although I've tried to teach him cursive here and there over the years. He never really caught on and never thought it was very important. UNTIL TODAY!

He just got home from school and is almost in tears because he has to write each of his spelling words five times in cursive, and he is required to write his spelling test at the end of the week in cursive.

He is sitting in front of a computer screen right now trying his best to match cursive strokes. He is very upset about this turn of events! I'm pleased, though. Cursive is important! Even though most of us use some sort of electronic device for a great deal of our communications these days, signatures are still required on all sorts of things.

Maybe this is a sign that cursive will begin being taught again at the grade school level in the US soon. Hopefully!

I remember hearing that it's "essential for the rest of my schooling and I will be expected to use cursive".

That was in third grade. However many years later I still do not have to use cursive for any school assignment, job related activity, whathaveyou. I still think it looks nice though, and I find my handwriting transitioning into cursive when I need to write fast.

In Italy I think cursive writing is still alive and well. It is the most commonly used way of writing for personal interactions, notes and so on. I use cursive to write things I need to remember on post-its, and so does everyone I know. Obviously there is no emphasis on elegance at all, my calligraphy is horrible and very few have a great calligraphy.

It is still widely taught in schools. In my mind it is the "normal" way of writing, in fact I can't even write that well in print, it takes me much more effort, while writing in cursive is a continuous movement and it's much faster. I guess it depends on what you were taught, but I actually feel more comfortable writing cursive, as long as there are no style restrictions.

I live in California, USA and cursive is still being taught in the school district I live in. Starting from kindergarten, the students learn the D'Nealian style of handwriting. The D'Nealian print is easier for students to transition into cursive. They start the transition at the end of first grade and beginning of second grade.

I hadn't heard of that before, so I just googled it and read up on it.  That's really interesting.  I wonder how effective it is.  (It sounds like there are mixed feelings about it.)

I use cursive all the time when I'm making notes for myself at work.  I really don't notice a speed difference between print and cursive, I just like to change things up occasionally.  I also kind of like the idea that enough people don't remember how to read and write in cursive, that people can't quickly read over my shoulder.

Technology marches on. Losing cursive is a tradition being lost to the rise of the iPhone and keyboard. People are typing more than ever and most people have ugly cursive, so I suppose many in charge of things don't see the use of it anymore. I know I will miss it. I love cursive and write that way frequently. Several people have also told me I have beautiful cursive. I will teach my children cursive one day. It is not strictly needed, but I would rather have it than not have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Cursive writing is still taught to every school kid here in Slovenia, but it turns out later on in their lives that it is a rather pointless skill to have. It's not just the fact that sooner or later every kid learns hot to type and proceeds to write out most of their assignments with the assist of a keyboard, even in situations when one is forced to write by hand, people here often resort to normal handwriting.

I never use cursive because my handwriting is almost illegible, even if use normal handwriting. I can't read after myself when I use cursive, so I've dropped it completely.

I do not know why it is not taught like it should be.  I use cursive all the time if I am not thinking about it, but I have encountered so many young people in the work place who can hardly read it at all and this just shocks me.  I am not much older than them and I was required to write entire essays in cursive for the practice in 5-6th grade.

When I was a kid in the mid-90's, we also had a subject dedicated to cursive writing. If I remember correctly, it was required that all of us should write in cursive form. But after being in 2nd grade, I think since we passed that subject and level already, they allowed us to write in print form, basing on my old grade school notebooks. I noticed that my handwriting was a mixture of cursive and print since 3rd grade.

My mother is in her late 50's, she has such a nice cursive writing, she says she was taught how to write like that back when she was going to elementary school.  She was going to one of the best schools back then, so maybe that's why they taught her that. So not sure if public school taught that back then, but they definitely aren't doing that now.

I never learnt to use the cursive writing, my mom tried a bit to teach me on her own, but that's it.  I think cursive writing looks so nice.

I don't understand it either. I'm from Argentina, and writing in print was simply not allowed in school. Now I live in the US, and my stepson was taught how to write in cursive, and he was forced to write in cursive at some points during 2nd and 3rd grade, and then he was free to switch back to print. Why would you want kids to write SLOWER?

Cursive writing is still taught to every school kid here in Slovenia, but it turns out later on in their lives that it is a rather pointless skill to have. It's not just the fact that sooner or later every kid learns hot to type and proceeds to write out most of their assignments with the assist of a keyboard, even in situations when one is forced to write by hand, people here often resort to normal handwriting.

I never use cursive because my handwriting is almost illegible, even if use normal handwriting. I can't read after myself when I use cursive, so I've dropped it completely.

That's interesting! I always write in cursive! I'm extremely slow if I try to write "normally". While it is more legible, it simply takes too long, and I can't keep up with the pace, so I am stuck with my ugly cursive writing.

In elementary they taught us cursive writing. But when I moved to high school, never saw it again. I guess is because teachers couldn't understand some students cursive writing, even in print letters some teachers still can't understand, but uhm.. at least they get an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I use cursive writing from time to time when taking down notes. But with the Internet and word processor apps, you hardly see or wouldn't need that much cursive writing to begin with.

I'm in the US and it seems that a lot of schools are still teaching it but not to the extent that they used to. Still, I'm kind of surprised that it's still being taught at all at the rate things are going- but my fifth grader is learning it as we speak.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to any writing? With the internet and the world of technology, people have forgotten how to write and how to communicate without shorthand and predictive text. Sadly cursive writing is lost like the remainder of the script and what a waste as it is so beautiful and I actually miss writing letters and curving some of the alphabet to personalise it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes cursive writing is still being taught here in our nation. It's part of the requirements for students here to learn how to write in this form. I actually prefer cursive writing especially when I'm in a hurry.

haha, i never even realized that cursive writing is a thing of the past. i'm not even really sure if it's still being taught in our schools to this day. honestly, it has never occurred to me to think about it until now, and now i'm also starting to wonder :grin:

but just my opinion, i don't find any relevance in teaching cursive writing. with technology, writing on traditional pen and paper way is fast disappearing. after graduating from school, i just stopped writing in cursive. i think it's something that a hobbyist (crafting cards etc.) will enjoy more.