Linguaholic

Hello from Ireland

drpiggledy

Hi all,

I'm a Dutch person, but have been living in Ireland for over seven years now. Married a local and everything, and now use English more than my native tongue. I like to claim I'm fluent in English at this stage, but at the same time I continue studying the language. I find that my understanding of the finer points of English grammar still escape me, and my vocabulary is still expanding every day.

At the same time I've been wanting to learn more Irish as well. I've picked up some of the basics, but it is so different from anything else I've ever done that it is difficult.

I also learned French, German and some Latin and Greek in school. I can still read and understand the first two well enough, but have sadly forgotten most about the latter two. I do find that having done a number of languages greatly helps me understand English better, as well as my native Dutch.

My eldest child is now starting to speak and it is fascinating to see that she happily mixes Dutch and English without a second thought. It does make it difficult for her Irish family to understand her though!

Anyway, I hope to learn lots on this forum, and look forward to interacting with you all.

Welcome to linguaholic.com!

It is nice to see someone who is living in another country that it is not theirs. I bet you could tell us something about Ireland. Do you like their accent?