Linguaholic

BUFFALO

ghanashyam

He is very slow, idiot, not worth talking, not listening to any reasonable thing, not worth arguing, not worth spending time, he is just not human. For all these thing, we use a single world " He is a buffalo"

What word you use in your country for such person?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That is something that is very intersting, I do not think that they have a word for such a person in my country. Other than for somone who is slow called a tortoise it's that obvious.

Never knew that as well!  :laugh:Here in Portugal we would say turtle too, like "you look like a turtle" for the equivalent of your buffalo.

I don't think my countries have a name for that type of person xD. I know Chinese people call stubborn people ox or cow and in America, we call lazy people sloths or slugs. But I don't think we have a specific name for those who have all the qualities you listed  :laugh:

There is of course the universal usage of calling a stupid guy donkey. I think in some countries owls are considered wise creatures, while here in India calling someone an owl would be insulting their intelligence.

Or am I incorrect and calling someone an owl considered an insult in most other countries as well.

i have never heard anyone use the term buffalo to describe someone who is slow and lazy.  that is kind of a cool word to use instead of "bum", "slug" or "sloth".  the word that i personally use to describe someone who is slow is "sloth".  or i will say "he's as slow as molasses".

In where I come from, 'dog' would be it because we have a lot of wild dogs around the street digging for food. In fact when people want to say how they have such bad luck with their life,they use 'dog' as the term. 'I have dog's luck' .It kinda makes sense now since in U.S dog is treated so well and it's like our own family while if you are a dog and born in my part of country,you're just well..a dog ;o so

In India such people are mostly called as "Dogs" or "Donkeys"  :laugh:

But I sometimes wonder why should we be referring those bad humans to those poor animals. I did rather scold them as "humans" because there isn't anything worse than that!  :tongue:

But I sometimes wonder why should we be referring those bad humans to those poor animals. I did rather scold them as "humans" because there isn't anything worse than that!  :tongue:

Yes, I agree.  Comparing humans' worst behavior to animals is actually an insult to the animals! 

But the underlying intent of all these terms -- buffalo, dogs, etc. -- I think is really to convey our frustration and disappointment with such people.  It can be really harsh.  Perhaps the person in question really does have some developmental difficulties or perhaps for some reason is incapable of the task.   

Yet on the other hand, sometimes this kind of behavior is negative and willful.  A person might be purposefully stubborn and uncooperative, for example.  That's another story altogether, I think.

There are some colorful expressions for that that don't involve animals.  "Stick in the mud" or "fuddy-duddy" for example for someone who is stubborn and not willing to change.  Or if somebody doesn't listen, we might say talking to him is "like talking to a brick wall."

But they are probably not used as much as some of the more insulting terms that often involve animals. 

That is funny that you call slow pokes “dogs”.  In the United States, people who are considered dogs are looked upon as raunchy or crass, especially in a sexual manner.  These intricacies between language slang are really interesting.

And for the fools, we term them as Donkeys. Is there any proofs that are donkeys are fools? The donkeys are so hard working, certainly more than humans and never complaining. The cunning men are described as snake. But snakes do not cheat, they bite when encountered.

I can imagine the animals themselves must be saying " he is a human" to describe someone fool or cunning in themselves.

A "buffalo"? That's interesting; I've never heard that phrase before. We usually call people a "sloth" here. I think that I will do a little experiment with my friends and see what they think about me calling them a "buffalo."  :punk:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 10/1/2013 at 1:54 PM, sayitwell said:

i have never heard anyone use the term buffalo to describe someone who is slow and lazy.  that is kind of a cool word to use instead of "bum", "slug" or "sloth".  the word that i personally use to describe someone who is slow is "sloth".  or i will say "he's as slow as molasses".

We Indonesians (at least Javanese) also use "buffalo" to refer to such kind of person. We don't use "sloth" because the animal is rarely seen in our country. Also, Indonesians don't even have distinctive word to distinguish between a "snail" and a "slug". When they see a slug, they will either mistake it for a leech or refer to it as "naked snail".