Linguaholic

Moved Abroad - Teaching my 5 year old reading and writing

kinglott

Hi there,

I moved to Japan last year from the UK, and I've been aiming to get my 5 year old reading and writing English (he can already speak English quite well). When My other kids were in school in the UK, they used Fred talk (?) to learn English reading phonetically, but I'm wondering whether this is the best method, and what methods there are to learn English writing and reading for children?

All of my kids are now bilingual, but my youngest left the UK before he started learning how to read or write.

Kind regards,

Edit:

I'm hoping to take on the task of teaching him myself every weekend, and not looking to send him to English classes.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

On 12/23/2018 at 2:52 PM, kinglott said:

Hi there,

I moved to Japan last year from the UK, and I've been aiming to get my 5 year old reading and writing English (he can already speak English quite well). When My other kids were in school in the UK, they used Fred talk (?) to learn English reading phonetically, but I'm wondering whether this is the best method, and what methods there are to learn English writing and reading for children?

All of my kids are now bilingual, but my youngest left the UK before he started learning how to read or write.

Kind regards,

Edit:

I'm hoping to take on the task of teaching him myself every weekend, and not looking to send him to English classes.

Welcome, Kinglott. That is really interesting! I am curious about why you moved to Japan. I do really like Japan as well, but living there must be completely different than just going there on holidays.

Best, 

L

20 minutes ago, linguaholic said:

Welcome, Kinglott. That is really interesting! I am curious about why you moved to Japan. I do really like Japan as well, but living there must be completely different than just going there on holidays.

Best, 

L

Hi and thanks for the reply!

My wife is Japanese, but there were many reasons we decided to move - one being because we both felt the schooling system was better in Japan. 

Kind regards

16 hours ago, kinglott said:

Hi and thanks for the reply!

My wife is Japanese, but there were many reasons we decided to move - one being because we both felt the schooling system was better in Japan. 

Kind regards

That's interesting. Hope you are having a great time, there. I just hope you don't have to work too hard there. As far as I can tell, work is a very big part for lots of people in Japan. 

But the country itself is very interesting and a very good friend of mine is working in Shibuya. So I always look forward to going there once in a while, too. 

• 1 month later...