Linguaholic

Best Apps to study the Chinese language [CHINESE]

丹尼尔

I am using the estroke App and the Pleco Dictionary App to study the Chinese language. They are both amazing! Which apps are you using on your Smartphone / iPhone? I am constantly looking forward to find new great apps as learning Chinese with apps is good fun. ohhh yes, in the meantime if you have not already installed the apps I mentioned, give them a try. you will love them fo shure.

Good evening

I am mainly using the Pleco Chinese App. It is indeed very nice! As you know, the Pleco Dictionary is free, but there are also a lot of paid Add-ons. I almost spent 100 bucks and got almost all the paid add-ons for Pleco. Most of them are really awesome! I especially like the flashcards plugin and the handwriting plugin. There are some crazy plugins like the Optical Character Recognition. This is one of the few add-ons that I actually did not buy. I tested the demo and, still, I have to say that it looks at least "interesting".

There are also some paid dictionaries that you can buy. I bought the ABC Dictionary. It is really good and is a good alternative for the pleco dictionary. (sometimes when searching some characters or maybe even chinese idioms it comes in handy to have several dictionaries with different entries and different sample sentences).

The one thing I like the most about the flashcard expansion is that you have the possibility to FIRST display just the pinyin, THEN you can hand-draw the character out of your mind, and IN THE END display the character. Like this, you can really improve your writing skills. This feature seems somewhat Trivial; however, I have not seen a single APP that allowed me to first just display pinyin, then let me draw the character by hand on the same screen and then display the full character (+more information about the character, etc.) The app is fun on an iPad as well. Studied hours and hours for the HSK with that Pleco App. It offers many many functions and works like a charm.

I had a few different Chinese Apps on my iPHone back in the days. I can remember that one of the other flashcard apps I had was nice as well....unfortunately I can't remember the name for the moment. Once I remember, I will let you know xD

• 5 weeks later...

What does the Pleco app do? I'm looking for something that will allow me to learn to identify the character alongside its English translation, as well as pinyin. Bonus if it also has a soundbite to allow me to hear it pronounced properly. It would also be great to be able to have an interactive area where I'm able to practice writing the character with proper brush strokes.

• 6 months later...

What does the Pleco app do? I'm looking for something that will allow me to learn to identify the character alongside its English translation, as well as pinyin. Bonus if it also has a soundbite to allow me to hear it pronounced properly. It would also be great to be able to have an interactive area where I'm able to practice writing the character with proper brush strokes.

@nonsiccus

Pleco can help you with your Chinese characters. You can draw characters and Pleco recognizes them or you can use your camera to let Pleco tries to find character out. What's more Pleco is free app!! and database is pretty big. Such a nice app :)

PLECO is the way to go. It has everything you are asking for. Pronunciation of every syllable (male/female voice), handwriting space, pinyin, stroke order information & animation, and much much more.