Linguaholic

How to stay sharp?

Dame6089

I took 3 years of Spanish in college and was at the top of my class. One of my professors even made it a point to tell me that I was one of the best students he has ever had.

Unfortunately, Spanish was not my major and I have not continued studying it. It has been a year and a half since I've last spoken Spanish on a daily basis.

Is there anything I can fit into my daily schedule to help me stay sharp with my Spanish?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I feel you... I just got back from a year in South America and things really fall apart when you don't practice. Have you tried listening to any podcasts?

That's something you can do in the car or while you're cooking dinner or even when you're falling asleep. Just think of a subject that you really like and search for it in Spanish on the itunes store.

Podcasts are a great idea, reading is a good idea too, something that keeps you in touch with the language will keep the language alive inside your head.  :wink:

Try watching a videos or movies in spanish. If you can find someone you can talk to in spanish the better.  Another thing you can do is read books that are written in spanish. I also feel the same with my german, it's been a year since I heard a real conversation. And there are many words that I already forgot.

Unfortunately that's the very thing I've had the most trouble with myself. Like you, I was an excellent student in the language. I learned quickly and easily and when I spoke it everyday, had no trouble accumulating more and more information. Speaking everyday IS the biggest thing for me. Also, listening (music, tv, movies, etc.) and reading frequently are helpful as well. Perhaps do one of those email word a day things, except in spanish, and commit to using whatever word you get in some way? Even if it's just in your own brainstorming or verbal practice, it could be helpful to keep integrating more information.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest keeping in touch with the friends you have made in your travels or do some reading occasionally. I recently came back from Spain, where I was living for 5 months. I love that feeling of success when you are told you sound like a native and I certainly don't want to lose that!

What I also do is speak spanish with friends that also learn spanish, helping them to get used to the language!

• 2 years later...

One way to stay sharp when you're learning a new language, especially Spanish, is to practice everyday. If you do not use the language in your everyday life, you will forget the mechanics of the language, and you will lose your fluency. Personally, there are no Spanish speakers in my house, so using the language outside of my Spanish class is difficult. Homework alone isn't enough, you have to practice speaking the language with proper grammar in order to learn it and become fluent. If that means talking to yourself, then that will still help. But do not lose your fluency because you have no one to practice with. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you can't or don't want to practice daily at least try watching videos or TV shows in Spanish. There are so many interesting videos on YouTube you might find interesting. I specially like to watch vlogs :)  I can say that watching videos and listening to Dutch language has helped me stay sharp and not to forget the word order that took me a while to grasp!  I know this can work for other languages as well, it did for me with English :)