Linguaholic

What are you going to do once you can speak spanish fluently?

Trellum

I know there are a lot people over here who want to learn spanish, some can already speak some and others are just starting.  I know they all have their own reasons to learn this language, but that made me wonder... what are you going to do once you learn to speak spanish really fluently? 

I mean, you must be planning to do something once you do that, right?  Because when you dedicate so much time to learn a language, I'm sure you will not just forget about it once you learn to speak it fluently.

Take me as an example, once I learn to speak dutch fluently, I plan to use it EVERY single day in the Netherlands :)  I'll be feeling so confident once I reach that level!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Spend at least a year traveling through Central America and South America. Then maybe spend a month or two in Spain. I think I will be able to learn a lot more about these cultures if I speak the language, than if I go knowing very little.

Wow, that's awesome!  I can't think of a better reason to improve your spanish or any other language than the possibility of getting a job that pays better!  I guess learning english helped me to do the same, but I never knew it would when I was learning it ;)    So, how far are you from this goal?  How long have you been studying the language?

Spend at least a year traveling through Central America and South America. Then maybe spend a month or two in Spain. I think I will be able to learn a lot more about these cultures if I speak the language, than if I go knowing very little.

That sounds like a really lovely plan, Bonnie :)  You should take your time in Spain tho, since the spanish language originated there, and this country is filled with a lot amazing places. I really advice you to visit Granada and Toledo, those two cities are totally filled with history!  A very rich an interesting history :)  Specially Granada, this place is full of ''juderias'', mosques and amazing castles.  If you are a fan of photography, I'm sure you will like it there!

I really don't have many chances to speak Spanish because I don't go to Spain often, but from time a Spanish speaker appears at my job (I work at a university) so I get the chance to speak.

Trellum, are you a native Spanish speaker? Why don't I see you on Spanish practice thread?  :tongue:

Once I reach fluency I'm definitely going to do the Camino de Santiago in Spain. I know you don't need to speak Spanish or really know anything about Spanish culture to do it but for a reason I can't quite explain I think it would change my life.

Oh and also I would go to Madrid and find myself an Irish pub. Then I can blow all of their minds as I use my triple Irish/English/Spanish combo!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope to get a better job once I am fully fluent. I have seen so many jobs that I want to do in film and tv production, but they are looking for bilingual workers in LA because of the boom in Latino media.

I would love to visit a Spanish speaking country. I can speak it well enough to get around now, but I really want to be fluent one day. I think it would be awesome to be fluent in the language of the country you were visiting.

• 1 month later...

Well, I always wanted to travel through Central and South America and Spanish would help me tremendously on this journey, so that's one thing I'm planning on doing. This, however, might not be possible right away because it's expensive, so a nice vacation to Spain would be my second option.

I would probably use it for work as well. I'm a brand ambassador and the staffing companies are always looking for Spanish speaking ambassadors. It would be great to actually be able to apply to these jobs.

What is a brand ambassador?

I really want to learn Spanish because Spanish is pretty dominate in Southern California. Also, I am going to graduate school to become a counselor and speaking Spanish would give me a great advantage.

I also like the idea of being able to speak multiple languages. It's fairly common in Europe, but not so much in the United States. 

I plan on using my knowledge in Spanish to help customers in my pharmacy. I will probably go to my favorite Mexican restaurant, and surprise them by ordering in Spanish. There are just too many uses for this language, when you live somewhere that has a lot of Spanish speaking people.

• 1 month later...

Once I can speak Spanish fluently, I'd love to speak to other Spanish speakers! Both my parents speak Spanish and I would love to talk to them without having to use "Spanglish." I'd also like to work in areas where you would need a translator.

My plan is to pretend like I don't speak Spanish, then wait for someone to say something insulting towards me or embarrassing towards themselves, then just join the conversation in Spanish and watch their faces start looking like  :speechless:

jk, but it will probably help in the job market later in life

I'm going to have a conversation with someone and be proud that I actually understood it!

I don't talk much right now because, I am so shy. I know what I need to say and anticipate a certain answer. The person I am talking to never answers the way I expected so, I get thrown off. So right now, unless I'm ordering off a menu, I don't say much.

I want to become more confident and I, don't think that will happen until I have a really good grasp on the language.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if ever I would be fluent in Spanish, then I would start to "test" my knowledge by watching Spanish films and telenovelas to see if I would actually understand what they are  saying. If I never encountered anything that I do not understand, then I'd now be confident to speak the language in public.

• 3 weeks later...

When I am fully fluent in Spanish I want to travel to many different Spanish-speaking countries and see everything and try everything. I want to feel confident and not shy when talking to waiters, museum attendants, locals, taxi drivers, and anyone else I may run into. There is so much we can learn from other people in this world but language blocks us from understanding them fully. Having that open door to make new connections will be like a gift.

Then once I have kids I plan on speaking to my kids in Spanish and have them grow up bilingual. I think this is also a gift to give your children. It expands their knowledge and their understanding as they grow up and try to figure out the world around them.

I'm planning to travel to South America. I'm very interested in its history and archaeological sites. (pre-settlers).

My main reason however is family. My mum was born in Paraguay (moved to Europe when she was 9) and I still have family there. I'd love to meet them one day and speak in their native tongue. Unfortunately, my mum never spoke Spanish to me or my sisters, so I have to start from scratch. I still have a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have many Spanish speaking relatives so I want to be able to converse with them. I find it sad that I am part Latino yet cannot even speak the language. I also want to be able to use my Spanish when I travel. I want to visit South America, the Caribbean, and Spain and I would love to be sufficient enough in Spanish that I don't need any help having everyday conversations. I can also use it to get better jobs.

When I finally can speak Spanish fluently I'd be able to talk to my daughter without reservations . Also, I have a friend that has excelled in Spanish and is now a teacher, we could finally correspond in Spanish. Over all I would have gained my bragging rights.

I'm planning to travel to South America. I'm very interested in its history and archaeological sites. (pre-settlers).

My main reason however is family. My mum was born in Paraguay (moved to Europe when she was 9) and I still have family there. I'd love to meet them one day and speak in their native tongue. Unfortunately, my mum never spoke Spanish to me or my sisters, so I have to start from scratch. I still have a long way to go.

Wow, Ella!  That sounds like a really interesting story!  I'm guessing you are based in the UK? I must say you have such a nice reason to learn Spanish :)  Meeting your relatives who are living there for the first time and talking to them in Spanish will surely be such a special moment and a moment you will never forget.

Once I'm fluent in Spanish, I plan to travel to Spain.  I really enjoy learning about Spanish history, so look forward to spend time in the country and visit the historical spots.  Also, there are a lot of opportunities in my own country to interact with spanish speaking people.