Linguaholic

What are you going to do once you can speak spanish fluently?

Trellum

I began learning Spanish for no other reason than to be able to communicate with my partner on many different levels. I figured that I would understand his background and culture so much better through his own language. Acquiring the skill to speak this powerful language fluently, has opened many new doors for me in my private life and in business.

I'm going to travel to some nice Spanish-speaking countries! Also I'm going to chat up Spanish speakers on the web just since I've never really been able to all that well and I think it'd be cool to be able to just have a casual conversation in Spanish with a native speaker :)

I wish to finish what I started long ago, I suppose.  I've taken Spanish before in school, but I never got to the point of feeling like I was fluent, or that I could carry on a conversation.  I want to speak the language with ease.  I want to know it as if it were my native language.  Sure...I'd love to go to Spain or Belize or spend some time in Argentina, but I really want to do it for my own enjoyment.  Again, to finish what I started what seems so long ago.

The number one item on my bucket list is to visit every content in the world, and to this end i'm currently planning a trip to Bolivia, though this is at least a year away!

I'd really love to have at least basic Spanish under my belt before I go, and was wondering if anyone with experience in learning Spanish could give me some guidance in the best way to go about learning begginer Spanish (classes/apps/etc) and roughly how long I should be thinking it will take me to grasp enough to hold my own whilst travelling :)

Once I know how to converse in Spanish fluently, I'll go to Spain and mingle with the locals, have fun at the tomatina and hit the pub after watching a few football games. I would love to experience their culture the way they experience it too, and the key to that is knowing Spanish well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no direct goal to which I can relate my fluency on Spanish, I might get a job in Spain one of these days, so for that knowing the language would surely be necessary, but for now I'm just trying to do my best at it.

• 4 weeks later...

I find myself in quite a lot of situations where knowing the language would come in handy.  Honestly, though, my main purpose of learning Spanish is to be able to share it with my son so that he can converse with his family.  There are members of our family that aren't fluent in English and can only say a few things.  I would like for myself and my son to have full conversations with them on a regular basis without feeling awkward.

• 2 months later...

Stow it in my pocket and use it when I'm in a Spanish-speaking country. I have plans to be a professional pilot in the future, and I've met plenty of people who cross the pond nearly every week and go to countries like Spain. So it should be pretty useful just to have in case I go into a country where everyone speaks it, and not have to worry about being totally lost about what's going on around me. There are also plenty of Spanish-speakers to talk to in the US.

• 3 weeks later...

I can read spanish fairly well, and my spoken spanish is ok, but in the future, when I am more fluent than I am now, I plan on going to mexico and spain for vacation. It will be nice to be able to talk in spanish there.

I also think that it will be a fantastic asset in my career. I am studying to become a funeral director, and it will be nice to be able to communicate with people who need to organize their families funerals. There are a lot of people in my area who only speak spanish and do not speak english, and they need help too. I imagine it must be very difficult for people to go through such a tough time and not even be able to effectively communicate with the people who are organizing the funeral

Another thing is that my boyfriend used to be a spanish teacher, but that was decades ago. I want to be better than him at spanish, just so I can rub it in his face. It will also be useful to be able to speak to each other in spanish so that other people don't know what we are saying.

Once i'm able to speak fluent Spanish i will travel to Venezuela to finally meet my best friend in person who lives there. He played a very big role in my learning Spanish and i'm very grateful to him.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, chico...I have a lot of goals for this!

Once I become fluent, I want to look at a long term job and life in a Latin American country. Probably Mexico, but I want to explore them all. I am learning Latin American Spanish, also. That means travel and exploration first, which is very important to me. Spanish is the only foreign language that I have any confidence in learning, so this is very important to me. I may even search for a novia in my travels, once I've figured where I really want to be. And once I am good enough, I want to write in Spanish. For, me, though, it will probably mean translating my English-written novels.

• 4 weeks later...

I mainly want to learn languages for brain development. Another reason is because it will be nice to travel and live in different countries and have the ability to speak the native language. ALso, once I learn Spanish, it opens doors for me to learn French or Italian as those are similar languages.

I think the best ways to make use of a newly learned language would be to either use it in the country of it's origin or to use it for employment. I myself would probably go to Spain or any other Spanish speaking country if I were to learn Spanish language fluently. I think locals would appreciate seeing a foreigner who takes that much of an interest in their language and culture as well, so I know I would be very excited to be able to use it and maybe even show off a bit, to be completely honest.

I will travel around Latin America. (I will travel to some places in LA before I am fluent, but once I am fluent I'm sure I will have confidence to go farther.) I also plan for my children to learn Spanish. I want them to benefit from what I've learned as well.

The first thing I'd do is contact my Spanish family and be able to speak with them in Spanish! I'd think they'd be pretty happy to see that I learned to speak Spanish.

Other than that, I'd be quick to point out that I'm bilingual on every job application I send in. I see it being as such a huge benefit to getting a job, especially with me being in California, which has a large Latino community.

I began learning Spanish for no other reason than to be able to communicate with my partner on many different levels. I figured that I would understand his background and culture so much better through his own language. Acquiring the skill to speak this powerful language fluently, has opened many new doors for me in my private life and in business.

Aww, that's so very sweet!  I'm doing the same, but with dutch instead of Spanish :)  I understand what you mean, there is no better way to communicate with your significant other than his or her mother language.  Best of luck learning Spanish, isn't the easiest language ever... the verb conjugations are a pain in the.... but with the help of your partner I'm sure you will do it :)

Oh, chico...I have a lot of goals for this!

Once I become fluent, I want to look at a long term job and life in a Latin American country. Probably Mexico, but I want to explore them all. I am learning Latin American Spanish, also. That means travel and exploration first, which is very important to me. Spanish is the only foreign language that I have any confidence in learning, so this is very important to me. I may even search for a novia in my travels, once I've figured where I really want to be. And once I am good enough, I want to write in Spanish. For, me, though, it will probably mean translating my English-written novels.

That sounds like a really nice goal, Traveler :)  Best of luck learning the language and finding a good job in Mexico!  I think you will really appreciate the Mexican culture and cooking. There are many beautiful señoritas in Mexico, if you want to find a truly beautiful one head to the north of Mexico ;)  That's the best place to find the really beautiful señoritas!

I can read spanish fairly well, and my spoken spanish is ok, but in the future, when I am more fluent than I am now, I plan on going to mexico and spain for vacation. It will be nice to be able to talk in spanish there.

I also think that it will be a fantastic asset in my career. I am studying to become a funeral director, and it will be nice to be able to communicate with people who need to organize their families funerals. There are a lot of people in my area who only speak spanish and do not speak english, and they need help too. I imagine it must be very difficult for people to go through such a tough time and not even be able to effectively communicate with the people who are organizing the funeral

Another thing is that my boyfriend used to be a spanish teacher, but that was decades ago. I want to be better than him at spanish, just so I can rub it in his face. It will also be useful to be able to speak to each other in spanish so that other people don't know what we are saying.

Heheheh, well done!  You seem to have a lot goals ;)  Good for you!  Hahahahaha, I laughed at the bit where you said you'd like to learn Spanish so you can rub it on your  boyfriend's face, lol.  That sounds like something I'd do, lol!

As for the funeral director career choice... good for you!  I personally would never like to have anything to do with funerals and dead people, but it's great you have very clear what you want to do.  I never really had so clear in my mind what I really wanted to do and that's why I could never decide properly.

Once I'm already confident and fluent in speaking Spanish, I will apply as a voice talent so I can dub non-Spanish films and TV shows.  I will also try my luck on being a DJ at a Spanish radio station.  Or maybe write a song in Spanish. There's just a lot of things that I want to do.  Haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Once I'm already confident and fluent in speaking Spanish, I will apply as a voice talent so I can dub non-Spanish films and TV shows.  I will also try my luck on being a DJ at a Spanish radio station.  Or maybe write a song in Spanish. There's just a lot of things that I want to do.  Haha!

Woah, that sounds rather ambitious and cool!  I like it :)  I've always wanted to work in the dubbing business, is it really hard to get into it? I hope you are successful, the things you want to do once you speak Spanish well sound so interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to go up to a friend of mine who speaks Tagalog once I'm fluent enough in the Spanish language, stare him straight in the eye, and say these following words translated to complete and proper conversational Spanish:

I have come from the mountain of knowledge. I seek to know your language as well."

I would be doing this while wearing a mage or elderly man costume of course. The scary part? I'm not even joking.

• 1 year later...

Once I can speak fluent Spanish, I'll try to read books in the original and I'll look for ways to implement this knowledge in my daily job.

• 2 weeks later...

Once I can speak Spanish fluently, I am going to use it in every aspect of my life. For instance, I will speak to my family in Spanish, with no English mixed in, and I will also apply for jobs that require their applicants to be bilingual. I will also be able to talk to my friends in Spanish. I have always wanted to have secret conversations with my friends like other latina girls do. My best friend speaks Spanish fluently, and although I practice with her, being able to speak fluently would allow us to have in depth conversations that I never could have before. If I knew Spanish, I would be able to respond to the many people who assume I speak the language based on my appearance. I feel ashamed that I do not know the language of my family, and once I know it, I will no longer be ashamed that I cannot speak it.