Linguaholic

German Translation Game

• 3 weeks later...

One doesn't get a washboard (a six pack) from drinking (beer)?

"Geld zu sparen ist eine Sache des gesunden Menschenverstands"

It should have been read:

"You don't get a six-pack from drinking [them]!"

• 3 weeks later...

One doesn't get a washboard (a six pack) from drinking (beer)?

"Geld zu sparen ist eine Sache des gesunden Menschenverstands"

Saving money is common sense

Ich bin glücklich, in Deutschland zu sein.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think he means that his bird is too fat and so he is feeding it diet bird feed now.

Maybe: Mein Vogel ist viel zu dick, da füttere ich ihn jetzt mit Diätfutter.

Not sure if that's correct. Here's a fun one I learned recently:

"Da könnte ich mich reinlegen."

• 3 weeks later...

"Da könnte ich mich reinlegen" --> I could stand up for this (cause).  // I am willing to stand up for this cause.

Not 100 % sure about this translation. It's not perfect but it should be alright:=) I'm curious to hear your personal version  :karate:

"Ich habe die Nase voll von diesen Betrügern!"

Finally a phrase I'm able to translate. I would go with "I've had it with these thiefs". I wasn't really sure how to translate the word Betrüger, if it is about internet crimes I would probably go with scammers or cheaters instead of thiefs.

"Fussball ist unser Leben, denn König Fussball regiert die Welt"

:cool:

Football is our life, so king football rules the world? Right?  :grin:

"Ich wünschte, ich hatte gelernt, Tennis zu spielen, als ich ein Kind war."

Football is our life, so king football rules the world? Right?  :grin:

"Ich wünschte, ich hatte gelernt, Tennis zu spielen, als ich ein Kind war."

"Ich wünsche, dass ich als Kind Tennis zu spielen gelernt hatte." <-- most likely (argh word order!)

I wish, that I as a kid had learned to play tennis.//I wish I'd learned to play tennis as a kid.

Although probably you'd want wünschen in the present tense, because you're wishing now, not wishing then. Unless you were wishing then, I don't know. :P and "Als Kind" is "as a kid" kind of like how one would say "Ich bin Amerikanerin" or something of that nature. It's idiomatic. :/

Willst du mit mir einen Bier trinken? Ich sterbe vor Durst. (I'm actually headed for the fridge, lmao!)

• 1 month later...

"Ich wünsche, dass ich als Kind Tennis zu spielen gelernt hatte." <-- most likely (argh word order!)

I wish, that I as a kid had learned to play tennis.//I wish I'd learned to play tennis as a kid.

Although probably you'd want wünschen in the present tense, because you're wishing now, not wishing then. Unless you were wishing then, I don't know. :P and "Als Kind" is "as a kid" kind of like how one would say "Ich bin Amerikanerin" or something of that nature. It's idiomatic. :/

Willst du mit mir einen Bier trinken? Ich sterbe vor Durst. (I'm actually headed for the fridge, lmao!)

Can you bring me a beer? I am thirsty!

Try to translate this "Bier auf Wein, das lass' sein; Wein auf Bier, das rat' ich dir."

I am happy, to be in Germany.

"Mein Vogel ist viel zu dick und ich gebe ihnen schon Diätfutter."

Hi, I am a native speaker. You have mixed two things up in your example. First you mentioned your bird (one, singular), then you mentioned you are feeding THEM (plural) dietary feed.

So, it would be either:

"my bird is way too fat, and I am already feeding him/her/it diet food"

or:

"my birds are way too fat, and I am already feeding them diet food"

Hello, native speaker here.

I am sorry, but the poster was correct, and you have misunderstood something.

Wuenschen is not in the present tense, but it is conjunctive (I wished I were American, I wished I had learned this as a child).

And about the beer: das Bier in German is neutral, therefore you cannot use "einen" hier (that would only go for a male word, if it were "der Bier", but it is "das Bier"). But the rest is correct.

Willst Du mit mir ein Bier trinken? Ich sterbe vor Durst.

(Would you like to have a beer with me? I am dying from thirst)

about the "Du" (instead of "du"), I am 50 years old and old fashioned. It is a matter of politeness to address the other person that I am writing to (you, the reader) with this polite form. I honour you by writing Du, Dir, Dich etc with a capital D. Just in case anyone wondered...

Can you bring me a beer? I am thirsty!

Try to translate this "Bier auf Wein, das lass' sein; Wein auf Bier, das rat' ich dir."

Hello,

no, sorry, your translation wasn't right

(the posted question wasn't correct either, but it had a minimal mistake in it).

"Willst Du ein Bier mit mir trinken" is an invitation to have a beer with someone, and he is certainly not asking someone else (you!!) to get it for him! Quite the opposite! When someone is inviting you to have a beer, he will have it already there, or will get it for you. He will not ask you to get it! That would be an insult!

The quote you brought up about the beer and the wine are practical idioms teaching people what to do. They are rhyming, that makes it easier to remember.

"Bier auf Wein, das lass' sein!"

Bier after wine, leave it!

(as in "do not do this! Do not drink beer after you had wine before! You will get sick if you do that!")

Wein auf Bier, das rat' ich Dir"

(Wine after beer, that is what I am recommending to you)

"Da könnte ich mich reinlegen" --> I could stand up for this (cause).  // I am willing to stand up for this cause.

Not 100 % sure about this translation. It's not perfect but it should be alright:=) I'm curious to hear your personal version  :karate:

"Ich habe die Nase voll von diesen Betrügern!"

Hi, and sorry, your translation is totally off!

Da koennte ich mich 'reinlegen (correctly it would be 'hineinlegen', but nobody except those in the Southwest say that) refers to something really delicious. Food or drink. It is so good, so delicious, they would want to bath in it. Literally, they want to lay in it.

Of course that makes no sense literally, but that is what we say. If this cake, this pizza, this chocolate ice cream is soooo good, I want to lay in it. That is what I am saying with that idiom!

About your own sentence I am suggesting

"I'm fed up with these scams/scammers/thieves"

• 7 months later...

<snippity-snip>

Da koennte ich mich 'reinlegen (correctly it would be 'hineinlegen', but nobody except those in the Southwest say that) refers to something really delicious. Food or drink. It is so good, so delicious, they would want to bath in it. Literally, they want to lay in it.

Of course that makes no sense literally, but that is what we say. If this cake, this pizza, this chocolate ice cream is soooo good, I want to lay in it. That is what I am saying with that idiom!

About your own sentence I am suggesting

"I'm fed up with these scams/scammers/thieves"

You want "lie" not "lay". Lay is transitive. A *very* common mistake.

I can't think of a close translation. "This pizza is to die for!" works, but it's a very different image.

EDIT Oh, yes, a new sentence. Umm.

"Ja, dann sind meine Scheibenwischer eventuell defekt."