Linguaholic

Native Dutch speakers

drpiggledy

Nog andere Nederlandstaligen hier? Any other native Dutch speakers around? Would love to chat to some of you, as living in an English speaking country for the last seven years I have begun to realise my Dutch is getting a bit rusty, especially in writing.

Or, for anyone who has a question for a Dutch speaker, please feel free to shoot. I'd be more than happy to help if I can!

Another native Dutch speaker here that's been living abroad for the past 5 years now. I too have noticed my Dutch writing skills declining slightly over the past few years. Whenever Dutch people come and visit me over here I've also noticed I struggle for words sometimes but that lasts for only a couple of days.

It's great to see that there's a few of us here. And very interesting that we all seem to be living abroad! A Dutch language thread would be great.

Aphex, the struggling for words thing is very familiar. Whenever I'm back visiting I always have some issues making the switch back to Dutch. Though since my daughter was born I use Dutch a lot more again (seeing as I'm speaking only my native language to her). Of course, it's not a high level of Dutch, speaking to a toddler. The word no features a lot, more than anything.

Another native speaker here, I've "only" been living abroad for three years, but you guys scare me a bit.

Of course I struggle with finding one or two words, but hopefully will not get to rusty :) I like my Dutch.

Anyway, I'm living in Scotland with my SO, who's also Dutch, so that may make a difference. Are you all living alone, or do you have someone to speak Dutch with on a regular basis?