Linguaholic

Your least favorite English accent

Aphex

Everyone's got their favorite English accent but opposed to that everyone must also have their least favorite one.

Personally I have to say that the Scouse (Liverpool) accent must be my least favorite. It just sounds very harsh to me.

Please keep this thread civil as it's not meant to bash one accent or the other.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

my least favorite English accent has to be the American accent being spoken by persons who live in the Northern States. I find this accent to be annoying and irritating. I probably think it's because I've heard this accent so many times, and I've gotten sick of it.

Being in the States, I haven't been exposed to an exceptional variety lately, but I have to say in general I find American accents to be the least pleasing to the ear. Everything sounds so much less refined.

Guest isabbbela

If you are a bostonian, please don't get mad at me, but I don't like Boston's accent! I'm not sure if the whole Boston area speaks like that, the states nearby or where else. All I know is I worked with a guy from Boston, and I found the way he spoke annoying sometimes..... It's also, for sure, because he was an annoying guy, so it might be that I don't love that accent cause I immediately remember him when I listen to it.... but yeah... Boston is gorgeous, but I'm not crazy about the accent....

As a Manchester United supporter I kind of dislike the scouse accent. I mean I am forced to hear it after every second match when Rooney is interviewed. Even worse is when Jamie Carragher speaks, I mean the man is simply indecipherable.

Oh and the Boston accent's fun. It was probably the guy who was annoying.

The funniest and probably most difficult English accent has to be the creole accent that you hear in the deep south in places like Louisiana. I can't imagine having to interact with people using that accent every day.

Some of the guys on the show Swamp People use it. Anytime they speak, subtitles come up haha.

Being in the States, I haven't been exposed to an exceptional variety lately, but I have to say in general I find American accents to be the least pleasing to the ear. Everything sounds so much less refined.

Agree with you! Most American accents besides being less pleasing to the ear, many times are incomprehensible, probably because of the speed they talk and, to make fast speaking worst, they add to much slang and contracted words.

The way English sounds this way is far from that nicely spoken English from the English we hear in Hollywood classic movies.

Guest akasha24

I disagree with the people who say they don't like American accents. I like American accents the best, I just like the sound of it. My least favorite probably is when Hungarian people try to speak English. It irritates me :D I'm sure there are other accents that sound unpleasant but this is what I could think of.

• 1 month later...

If we're talking native speakers, then it has to be the American Southern Twang.  It sounds very...uneducated to me, which is why I don't really like it.  If we're talking just British accents, then I don't think I have a least favorite one.  I kinda wish I had a British accent.

I'm from the UK, so it'll have to be Geordie. Nothing against any Northerners, but hearing Cheryl Cole every Saturday night on The X Factor made me want to pull my hair out.

My least favourites have probably got to be Indian/Punjabi accents. There's just something about the language that makes it completely incompatible with English. Same with Arabian and other "middle-Eastern" languages.

I also don't like Asian accents much, but I wouldn't go as far as ridiculing them ("engrish" and whatnot).

I really don't like Irish for some reason. It just sounds too coarse. I also don't understand the fascination with North American "urban" accents, rap culture and the like. Suppose I just find it boring.

Now that you mention it, I probably wouldn't consider it one of my favorites either. I don't really hear it that much, though, so I may still like it on some people.

Having grown up in the South, really, really Southern accents are unbearable to me. You know when you hear someone that is clearly from the South, but they sound like they're laying it on thicker than it usually is? Like in most country music. It's quite unpleasant to my ears. However, a slight Southern drawl can be pretty charming sometimes, when used right. I try to mask mine, for whatever reason, but it comes out occasionally.

As someone who lives in the United States, I haven't been exposed to many of the different English accents. But if I were to pick my least favorite within the country, it would have to be the twang in the Southern states. It sounds too bright and nasally for my taste.

Oh geez, if I have to be specific, it would have to be my own. I'm from Long Island, and we have our own special general accent. Our vowels tend to be a little elongated.

For example, "Coffee" becomes more like "cawfee". And it really drives you insane sometimes.