Linguaholic

What Is Correct?

ghanashyam

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I remain very confused when these things come up. Which way the full stop shall go?

He said," I love America."

He said," I love America".

Since I love America are the exact words of the subject He, it is correct to put the period inside the quotation marks just like this: He said, "I love America."

The quotation marks are present in this sentence to indicate direct speech. Hence I suppose the full stop has to come inside the quotation marks. But am not exactly sure about this, waiting for more clarifications on this!

I remain very confused when these things come up. Which way the full stop shall go?

He said," I love America."

He said," I love America".

The quotation marks always go after the period at the end of a sentence.  Likewise, they will go after a coma or a semicolon.

So it would be written this way:

He said, "I love America."

Also:

He said, "I love America," but he refused to say more.

He said," I love America;" his friend said nothing.

I have seen it written incorrectly from time to time, and this adds to the confusion over the correct form; people don't always know which one is correct. 

He said, "I love America." is correct. Make sure the period is always before the quotation mark, and also leave a space between the comma and the quotation mark. However, do not leave a space between the first quotation mark and the word after it. In American writing, formatting is critical.