Linguaholic

Any good study apps? [GERMAN]

efpierce

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto here. I'm living in Germany and really want to speak more fluently, but the only "lessons" I'm getting are direct experience with native speakers. It's a tough way to learn to translate. But I can't possibly afford Rosetta Stone and I haven't found any other useful programs/apps to help me out.

There are very few that will teach you a full German course well.

There are, however, a combination of good apps that will give you a good handle on grammar and vocabulary:

Dict.cc Dictionary: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dict.cc+-dictionary/id521791825?mt=8

German verb trainer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/german-verb-conjugation-trainer/id417027134?mt=8

German verb conjugations: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/german-verb-conjugator-now/id385464568?mt=8

cool, Xenon! Thank you for providing those German Apps. I had a look yesterday for useful German Apps and I must say, I was a little bit disappointed. In comparison with other languages, there are really not so many cool apps for studying german.

still, at this point, I would like to mention again the app DUOLINGO. It is available for many different languages, but this app does look really professional and it is quite useful. it is free as well. give it a try.

cool, Xenon! Thank you for providing those German Apps. I had a look yesterday for useful German Apps and I must say, I was a little bit disappointed. In comparison with other languages, there are really not so many cool apps for studying german.

still, at this point, I would like to mention again the app DUOLINGO. It is available for many different languages, but this app does look really professional and it is quite useful. it is free as well. give it a try.

Downloading it now! Thanks!

Also, I did forget one app: iMasterGerman - it contains lots of good charts on German grammar such as pronouns, weak and strong adjective declension, etc.

There is a free and paid version:

Free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imastergerman/id594596706?mt=8

Paid: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imastergerman-pro/id605002748?mt=8

Hello!

I would suggest Mind Snacks - German. The app is $4.99, however it is one of the best ways to learn a new language via a device. You feel like you are playing a video game the whole time, yet you are learning German!

Some free ones to check out are Babbel, Busuu, Globibo (vocabulary) and Living Languages - German.

Hope this helps and happy studying!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Xenon!

I am really terrible at german atm. :(

I need something like an app to help me learn. I am a beginner to the max, pretty much knowing only how to introduce myself. I can read pretty good though, so that's a plus.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you efpierce for starting this thread and thank you Xenon for sharing all these apps! I will give them a try soon, since I'm feeling that my German is horrible at the moment. I got my Goethe Zertificat a long time ago and I haven't practised for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Duolingo, it's helpful but a little too basic. I do like the format and the user interface, but it doesn't explain any grammar; it just lets you learn by trial and error. Works okay, but I'd like to supplement it with a more intense study app.

If you're looking for something easy that doesn't make studying feel hard, Duolingo is a good option.

Guest isabbbela

I don't know if that counts for studying per say, it's more of a dictionary. But I really love the Wordreference app. I will only use this website for word translation, as it finds so many meanings everytime. It's good to learn different meanings to a word, I guess

• 2 months later...

If you mean on phone yes. Duolingo is free and really fun. Been using it since 2 months and whenever I have free time I start learning from it :) You should try it out. It's available on Android and iPhone/iPad

• 1 month later...

While it's not an app, Deutsche Welle has a very complete set of online interactive German lessons that are free:

http://www.dw.de/learn-german/s-2469

The course starts at level A1 of the Common European Framework and goes as high as B1. The interface can be a little clunky at times, but there is a good variety of activities. The is lots of practice with reading, listening, and even opportunities for speaking, though you won't get any feedback on your pronunciation.

There are also tests that you can take to see how you're doing. It's important to log out and then log back in periodically, or you can lose your progress.

This course is basic, but it can be challenging, and requires more concentration than apps like Duolingo.

One thing I do not like about it is that some exercises require you to fill in the blanks based on an audio recording. The problem with this is that you cannot pause, rewind, or fast forward the audio, so unless you can type at super-human speeds, you have to keep re-starting the audio in order to hear everything. It gets pretty tiresome hearing the beginning of the audio over and over again when all you need are the last few words.

There is an app called 'babbel' that I have been using, I found it on the google play store for free and downloaded it to my phone, it's quite simple but it has a very repetitive way of teaching new words and phrases that really help me remember them. It's free so why not give a shot, plus you have the convenience of carrying it around with you!