Linguaholic

Do you go to the native country to learn a new language?

rossonomous

One of the best ways to learn a new language is of course to live in the native country where it is spoken.

Is this something that you have done before? I personally have never done it, but would love to one day as it would be a great experience.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I did not really go to other country to learn their language, since I started learning english at a very young age. It was included in our school subjects. I went to germany before and it encouraged me to learn their language. Still I started learning when I went back home.

I traveled to Taiwan to learn Chinese. I was there to teach ESL but the reason that I chose Taiwan was because it is Chinese speaking. One important thing though is that just going to the country is not good enough. My wife was also with me and she didn't learn Chinese. She got by as best she could with just English. Even in another country you still have to study the language to be successful. It just makes it easier.

I traveled to Taiwan to learn Chinese. I was there to teach ESL but the reason that I chose Taiwan was because it is Chinese speaking. One important thing though is that just going to the country is not good enough. My wife was also with me and she didn't learn Chinese. She got by as best she could with just English. Even in another country you still have to study the language to be successful. It just makes it easier.

O of course you have to study. I mean more that have people specifically gone to a country in order to further aid their studying of the language.

I know a couple of people who went to France for a year specifically to live and breath French in order to learn the language.

If you have the possibility to visit the country it's for the better because you can pick up a lot of sounds, but you need to study a lot as well and you can learn the language without visiting the country too.

I've had friends from my French class that went to France for various school programs.  Most of them were in the school's MBA program and they took a trip to Europe, including France.  The ones from my classes said it was very helpful to go there and hear the locals speak as well as interact with them.  I would love to go to Spain or Mexico to help me learn Spanish.  I've only been to Canada (the non-French speaking part) and a few tropical islands where English was spoken.

I haven't yet! Although I talked to my fiance how we should one day stay in France for a long vacation just to breathe the culture haha. I need to work on learning French though. I know there's a lot to learn but you can never overprepare for this kind of thing!

I used to work and live in Norway when I was younger, I learnt a lot norwegian when I was over there, but that wasn't the reason I was there.  I was there mostly because I loved the culture and the country, I liked the language as well, but my main goal wasn't learning it while I was there. I just wanted to have a great experience working abroad, be outside my country for a bit and enjoy life over there. 

I've heard of a lot schools offering thier students language courses in the country where the language they want to learn is spoken.  Most of them must be really expensive tho, but some of them go as far as promising the students to help them find a job once they're in that country (as well as helping the with the work permit and so on), so they can help themselves a little while they're studiyng the language there.  Sadly this is too expensive!  I think only the rich people in my country can truly afford it... some of those courses require the student to stay in the foreign country for a full year!

One of the best ways to learn a new language is of course to live in the native country where it is spoken.

Is this something that you have done before? I personally have never done it, but would love to one day as it would be a great experience.

No, I have not had the opportunity to visit the native country of the languages that I have studied, but the good thing about my situation is that I have had the opportunity to communicate with native speakers, and also to listen, view, and read media which use the language which I'm studying so that I can grasp certain concepts and vocabulary in that language and retain it easily.

I don't know if this counts, but I learned English after immigrating to America  :laugh:.  But it's not like I had a choice and I didn't purposely come to America to learn English.

I've been wanting to study abroad though.. I really think being in a country and learning about all the culture helps language learning. Plus I'm sure my speaking and listening skills will improve if I'm around native speakers.

I've heard of a lot schools offering thier students language courses in the country where the language they want to learn is spoken.  Most of them must be really expensive tho, but some of them go as far as promising the students to help them find a job once they're in that country (as well as helping the with the work permit and so on), so they can help themselves a little while they're studiyng the language there.  Sadly this is too expensive!  I think only the rich people in my country can truly afford it... some of those courses require the student to stay in the foreign country for a full year!

There are a few places I have heard of that do this, and you're right, it can be very expensive.

It would be a brilliant opportunity from a young age though.

I don't. I can't afford something like that. Travelling to Japan is terribly expensive.

I sometimes visit Germany, but I've never been there longer than 3 weeks or so, and it isn't all that helpful in learning German for me :P Usually I'm only there for 1-3 days or so.

Well I haven't gone to live in another country when I started learning another language but I did visit Spain when I was learning spanish for a week. It is actually quite a cool experience as you can put words to visual elements and hear native talk. But you need to be studying the language to be able to learn it. Without studying it will all seem like gibberish.

I think the best way to learn a new language is to immerse yourself into it. Unfortunately, this is rarely an option for most due to other life obligations including work, money, families, etc. If it something that is feasible for you, however, all the more power to you! You will see a huge benefit learning in this way!

One really ought to learn from native speakers in a total immersion situation but that possibility is not available to most people so we should choose the next best thing. Starting at a young age is important as is tryiong to get at least some access to a native speaker.

I don't think visiting a native country would help me with learning a new language much. The reason I would not put my trust in learning a new language using this method is, because it could be challenging to most people.

Guest isabbbela

I wish I could do that! I agree with you, I do think going to the native country is the best option to learn a language. However, its not always possible, mainly because it's way to expensive.

I do think, however,that you learn more if you go to that country really having some knowledge of the language. Cause if you go without any knowledge, you will lose motivation to learn, because you cannot understand pretty much anything.

In my case, the languages I learn are learned due to having connections to the language's country. Except for English, which was a contemporary subject in school. I did, however, go to California for 1 month as a language exchange student.

When it comes to my learning of Spanish and Turkish, moving to the countries is not because I simply want to learn the languages, but I need to learn the language because I am moving there.

I wish I had this opportunity. I think it would be awesome to learn the language faster and also learn the culture. I find when I travel that people are generally wonderful. To learn another culture and better understand people through speaking with them would be amazing.

I wish I had this opportunity. I think it would be awesome to learn the language faster and also learn the culture. I find when I travel that people are generally wonderful. To learn another culture and better understand people through speaking with them would be amazing.

Yeah definitely! Plus it would be a nice, really long holiday in essence  :grin:

Im sure many would agree that the best way to improve your new language skills is to be in the thick of it. Being surrounded by people who speak the language must push you to learn especially when the country you are in don't speak your own language.