Linguaholic
Sign in to follow this  
bedo

Why Study Arabic?

Why Study Arabic

Arabic is spoken as a mother tongue by between 250 and 400 million people across 25 countries. Over a billion people can read the script even if they can’t understand the language. And Arabic happens to be one of the official languages of the United Nations. Therefore, many people learn the language for formal reasons.

At about 1,500 years old, Arabic also happens to be a very old language. It was the language of scholarship throughout the rule of the Islamic empires – a period of well over 1,000 years from the 7th century right down to the 19th and even 20th. The greatest books of medicine, geology, law, philosophy, and basically any subject you can imagine were all written in the finest Arabic. Therefore, many of the most advanced people in their fields of study learn Arabic for scientific and anthropological reasons.

Arabic is also the language of the Qur’an (the Islamic holy book). It doesn’t matter what your beliefs are, the Qur’an is unequivocally, undeniably and undoubtedly the greatest form of Arabic literature, and indeed the greatest form of literature, period. The beauty of this piece of literature is, in fact, quite literally, miraculous. Therefore, tens of millions of people learn this language to witness firsthand the beauty and miracle that is The Qur’an... religious reasons.

In fact, emphasis has been placed on studying the Arabic language by the Prophet (PBUH) himself when he said to the effect: learn the Arabic language as you learn the Islamic obligations and practices. His companions, who, remember, were Arabs, used to learn Arabic despite the fact that it was their mother tongue. They used to say: teach your children Arabic. They used to correct each other’s grammar.

They would consider it unacceptable to make a grammatical mistake. And the scholars that followed them in later centuries all emphasized learning Arabic. Imam Abu Hanifa said to the effect: I would’ve made learning this language compulsory had I not deemed it difficult on the people.

That is because 1. in order to truly understand the message of God as it was revealed, one must understand it in the very language it was revealed, and 2. the Qur’an is a literary miracle – really, a full blown miracle – and in order to witness it, you need to simply learn the language and you will witness a miracle with your very own eyes When the tribe of Qureish in ancient Arabia sent their most infamous debater to the Prophet (PBUH),
the debater barked and barked and barked.

He was enthusiastic and completely vicious. His mission was to completely overtake the Prophet (PBUH) and he was relentless. But when he finished, the Prophet (PBUH) recited a few verses of the Qur’an, upon which tears started to flow from the debater’s eyes and he had to cover the Prophet’s (PBUH) mouth because he couldn’t take any more. Would you like to taste
the same beauty that made that debater cry?

You can start learning Arabic online at Firdaws Academy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LovetoLearn77
      Hi everyone
      a good resource- AREG - The Online Arabic and Egyptian School

• By chichi
      Preply.com is a global educational platform that pairs tutors with students who wish to gain/improve their knowledge. We currently offer over 40 different subjects of which more than 27 are language courses. Studies are available both locally and remotely and this allows for flexibility in schedule alongside accessibility to students in remote/rural areas. 
      All you need to do is select the language you'll like to learn, go through the tutors' profiles, check their reviews and availability before you proceed with booking a lesson. You can start out by leaving messages for tutors and negotiating with a couple of them before making your final decision. 
      In case you need help, there's a user friendly Preply live chat. 

• By Paco
      Regards,

How you doing guys? Does anyone of you know to get certificated for proficiency in Arabic language or get any type of certification to acknowledge someone's knowledge, like the TOEIC in English, JLPT in Japanese, etc. ?

By the way, according to your opinions, What's the best middle east country to live in?
    • By polyglot88
      Hi all! I am new here and hoping to provide value, I wanted to create a post showing you guys the programs and books I have used to aid in learning the many languages I know, I am a polyglot:) I 100% believe immersion is the most important, but if you are learning any of these languages, and can afford the books or courses, give them a shot, they all have helped me/are helping me tremendously. Much love to all!
      ALL LANGUAGES/GENERAL:
      Fluent FOREVER
      Fluent in Three Months (book)
      Rosetta Stone!
      Instant Immersion (Many languages) 
      APPS I USE: DUOLINGO, MEMRISE, QUIZLET.
      SPANISH:
      Synergy Spanish
      Learning Spanish Like Crazy
      Rocket Spanish
      Accelerated Spanish (book)
      Language Hacking Spanish (book)
      Living Language Spanish
      FRENCH:
      Rocket French
      Language Hacking French (book)
      Living Language French
      ARABIC:
      Rocket Arabic
      Living Language Arabic 
      Pimsleur Arabic
      CHINESE:
      Rocket Chinese
      Living Language Chinese
      JAPANESE:
      Rocket Japanese
      Razi Sensei (Aprende desde español)
      THAI:
      Thai Alphabet in 60 Minutes
      Pimsleur Thai
      Read Thai In 10 Days
      ITALIAN:
      Rocket Italian
      Language Hacking Italian
      Living Language Italian
      GERMAN:
      Rocket German
      Living Language German
      RUSSIAN:
      Rocket Russian
      Living Language Russian
      OTHER MISC LANGUAGES (friends have used them with great results):
      Rocket Sign Language
      Practical Hebrew
      Rocket Korean
      Rocket Hindi
      Rocket Portuguese
      Things I have used for mindset, time, focus, and success, that have all helped me on my language learning journey!:)
      Success Mind Academy (Mindset)
      Super Brain Mind Power (Mindset)
      Six Minutes To Success  (Mindset)
      Magic In Your Mind (Mindset)
      The Action Machine (Procrastination/Time Management)
      Zen Meditation (Meditation/Focus)
      Seven Minute Mindfulness (Meditation/Mind)
      Much love and good luck on your language learning adventures!!! <3
      -polyglot88
    • By David Gomez
      My app Beelinguapp shows texts in two different languages side by side, and it is an audiobook at the same. It shows a karaoke animation to follow the audio.
      It has been getting some track lately and I would love to get some feedback!
      You can download it here (Android only for now):
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.david.android.languageswitch