Linguaholic

Why did you learn to speak Russian?

yellowbird

Not Russian, here, but Ukrainian. They are both Slavic languages, so they are similar but do also contain many differences.

We began learning because my parents and grandparents are from Ukraine. They speak it fluently.

I don't see where we will be using it specifically, except at the Slavic delis that we frequent, but it just feels like it would be beneficial no matter what.

I actually wanted to learn Russian when I was younger, I wanted to learn as many languages as possible and I thought russian was a really beautiful language :)  I never got to learn it tho, I learn a couple of words, but that's it.  As I got older my life changed, so did my priorities.  Learning a new language is no longer a hobby, right now I'm doing it out of need.  I need to learn Dutch really bad because I might be moving there soon. I'm in a rush right now :P

I actually wanted to learn Russian when I was younger, I wanted to learn as many languages as possible and I thought russian was a really beautiful language :)  I never got to learn it tho, I learn a couple of words, but that's it.  As I got older my life changed, so did my priorities.  Learning a new language is no longer a hobby, right now I'm doing it out of need.  I need to learn Dutch really bad because I might be moving there soon. I'm in a rush right now :P

See, that's where I'm at right now. I have many languages I'd like to learn, but not all of them are practical for me because some of them might not be spoken by others around me. How will I practice? What good use will I put this knowledge to? Russian does sound beautiful though, I agree, and I'm interested because I know there are many Slavic languages that are similar that might be easier for me to learn after I nail Russian such as Polish.

I think it would be a great base language to learn because it definitely will easily help you understand the other Slavic languages. My dad can understand most of what Russian or Polish people say and other Slavic people can pretty easily understand the other Slavic languages, as well. It really opens a door with being able to communicate with people from any Slavic region.

My girlfriend's family is Russian so I decided to start learning it. I am very beginner but I think I'm getting used to it. I am also just interested in this language overall :). It sounds pretty cool once you can speak it fluently.

That's neat, I dated a guy in high school whose family spoke mostly Polish, and that was a source of motivation for me to maybe learn someday. We're not together any longer, but I think I still might be interested in the language. Have you mastered the alphabet yet? How long have you been trying to learn?

I think it would be a great base language to learn because it definitely will easily help you understand the other Slavic languages. My dad can understand most of what Russian or Polish people say and other Slavic people can pretty easily understand the other Slavic languages, as well. It really opens a door with being able to communicate with people from any Slavic region.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for; I would maybe like to learn Polish sometime in the future. Thanks for the inspirational thought :)

I'm learning Russian because they are Slavs, like me.

Russian sounds much softer than my native Polish language.

My mum speaks Russian and taught me alphabet but she doesn't like the language so she didn't teach me all.

So I'm starting here :)

I'm learning Russian because they are Slavs, like me.

Russian sounds much softer than my native Polish language.

My mum speaks Russian and taught me alphabet but she doesn't like the language so she didn't teach me all.

So I'm starting here :)

How did she teach you the alphabet, if you don't mind my asking? Just as children who are native English speakers learn the alphabet?