Linguaholic

Would you accept it if your child didn't learn a second language?

sayitwell

When I was growing up my brother and I did not want to learn a second language.  Our parents were really disappointed and ended up offering us positive reinforcement for taking up second languages.  We both bit and took French classes.  In retrospect, I am glad that I learned a second language as it really rounded my edges and gave me an appreciation for foreign language.  Would you accept it if your child didn't learn a second language?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I would urge them to learn one while at school, but if they did not want to carry it on after that then I would accept that as their decision.

I hope they will take some inspiration from me when I have them and see it as something quite cool and unique.

Here in our country, English is included in the curriculum. Everybody is required to learn english. If ever my kid will tell me he doesn't want to learn other language (other language beside english) I will respect that decision. I will not force him to learn something he doesn't like.

Absolutely. I hated trying to learn another language when my private school made us take daily Spanish classes when I was 10. I had never even really heard Spanish before then. I didn't find it fun and I wasn't interested in learning it. I basically dumped everything I learned at the end of every class. I felt like that up until I had my first child, then my mind changed.

I don't feel my kids NEED to learn a second language, but I want them to try. If they eventually say they don't to learn anymore, it will be their choice. However, I am going to keep them trying until they say they are done.

I definitely wouldn't accept that. It's impossible to function in the modern world without English, so they need to learn English, no excuses. I'd also want them to study one more language in their childhood, but well, I'm not a mother yet and hopefully I still have a lot of time to think about that :D

I would accept it, but then I would also let them know about the benefits. They're my children, yes, but I don't want to cause strain on their minds, everyone is limited somehow. I'll leave the decision up to them.

I would accept it if my child didn't want to learn another language. I hope that my wife and I will show a positive attitude towards other languages and offer positive reinforcement if our child did show an interest in other languages, but the truth is, however, you do not NEED to learn another language and if our child is really not interested, or is more interested in other things, I will accept that.

Of course! Who am I to force a child to learn something that they have no interest in. Languages are fascinating to me, but some people just don't enjoy them. Some people also have a lot of trouble learning other languages and therefore don't ever learn a language.

If my future child wants to learn another language, great. If not, that's fine too.

Any children of mine wouldn't get a choice. It's easier for a child to learn languages if they're spoken to it in that language as infants. So by the time they're old enough to actually "decide", bilingualism would be normal and natural for them.

Of course! Who am I to force a child to learn something that they have no interest in. Languages are fascinating to me, but some people just don't enjoy them. Some people also have a lot of trouble learning other languages and therefore don't ever learn a language.

If my future child wants to learn another language, great. If not, that's fine too.

This is exactly how I feel.  I know plenty of smart and talented people that never had the urge to learn a foreign language.  Their time was better spent learning how to play guitar or shoot top shelf wrist shots in ice hockey.  I would never force my kids to learn a foreign language.  It should not be a mandatory educational requirement.

I'm fine with that, although I can't assure they wouldn't learn one given I'm Filipino and their father would be American. I'll probably not force it, just use it at home whenever I can. Maybe it will make my future hubby learn Tagalog too which would be useful for when we go to the Philippines.

• 6 months later...

As parents we tend to feel a little out of place when the kids don't adhere to our wishes. I would encourage the child to take up a language but I wouldn't hold it against the child if he/ she insist on not taking it. We were a bit disappointed when our daughter didn't so I know what you mean.