Linguaholic

What are the best languages to learn for the future and why?

yellowbird

I'd suggest thinking about where you want to be in a few years, and decide depending on that. I mean, if you wanted to move to a particular country, you should learn that language. Apart from that, if you want to stay put, Chinese, Spanish, these are good languages for the future.

• 3 months later...

People have been saying Chinese a lot in this thread, but I think what they really mean is Mandarin. And, I would agree. In another twenty years, that is where all the jobs and development will be. If only they could deal with the pollution...

People have been saying Chinese a lot in this thread, but I think what they really mean is Mandarin. And, I would agree. In another twenty years, that is where all the jobs and development will be. If only they could deal with the pollution...

You mean people in China speak Mandarin?

• 2 months later...

I seriously think that people should master the English language because it's the language that will remain. It is going to be used a lot in business so it's best that you practice this well as early as now. This is serious.

My parents always told me that if I wanted to learn a useful language, Mandarin would be it, for the purpose of business/development.I'm learning Japanese instead. XD My job isn't in business and it never will be, so I'd rather learn languages for fun as opposed to for business.