Linguaholic

Cultural background while learning a language

Sness

I believe that when learning a new language know other aspects of the culture of where it's used helps to understand better the usage of words, the formalities of the language, etc. For simple example of this is, if you are studying Japanese, you should know that people from Japan are very polite to each other, and the usage of KEIGO is a must-know.

A more near example (for me); In Latin America, we all (most of us) speak Spanish, but no country has the same accent or usage of words, and I guess it is all because of the different native people of each territory. I can tell you that in my country, Chile, we use lots of words derived from the Mapudungun, the Mapuche language, which is one of the few, and more numerous, indigenous people that weren't completely erased by the Spaniards in the territory of Chile. So, the Mapuche culture could still be maintain through time, and with the trade that went between Chileans and Mapuches, it could be passed through to the non-indigenous people.

All the history of a country influences in the language, from the very start to the pop culture, so when I'm learning a language the first thing I do, even before start learning it, is go to Wikipedia and I start from the (main) country and go through its history, I watch videos about more actual things, etc.

So, it's important to you know about the surrounding culture of a language? Do you do a research before/after learning a new language?

I agree completely.  For me that's part of the pleasure and the intrigue in learning another language.  I have a passion for history and culture anyway and so it's not a stretch for me.  If anything, it might even be the opposite for me; being so fascinated with the culture and the traditions, that the logical and natural progression would be to learn the language. 

Long before I studied German I had an interest in German opera, in part because I had grown up hearing opera; Italian and French opera as well.  My parents were opera buffs and it was much more likely to hear opera playing in the house than pop music.  So as a consequence I was fascinated by these languages -- German in particular -- from constantly hearing opera and from learning about the composers and the historical details about the culture and historical settings of opera. 

So yes, it's always been that way for me.  A language is deeply intertwined with creative expression and traditions of a culture and society. 

• 1 month later...

When I learn a new language, I never take the cultural background into consideration. I am usually just trying to learn the new language to my best ability, so I don't really think about it much. I think for future reference, I should take things such as a language's background into consideration.

I agree with you. And for me that's the best part about learning a new language. I love when my language teachers verge off onto cultural discussions. When I was taking French in junior high, my teacher used one week out of the year focusing on French cuisine and French vocabulary related to food and restaurants. At the end of the week, she had a French food day. We all were responsible for bringing a french recipe that of course our parents cooked. And she brought in a fondue machine where I had my first taste of chocolate fondue with fruits and cheese fondue with different breads. It was the sweetest day. And I still remember it today. :D

In college, I got to watch a French movie in French class that took place in Algeria. It was an eye-opener.

For me (learning German) it doesn't really help. The culture is nice to learn about for when I go and visit the country but it doesn't directly affect the rate in which I learn the language, so it seems like a waste of time in that regard.

• 2 months later...

I do agree that getting familiar with the cultural background of the language you are studying could be beneficial. However, I have never really gone that route before. My focus was always just getting to that point where I am fluent enough to feel comfortable speaking it around others. It is something I would consider doing though.

Yes. You have to dig deep into the cultural background of a country or a place where you are trying to learn the language, try to mingle with someone who knows how to speak English or any language that you both understand and try to let him explain to you what the origins of their language are. Thus you would be better understanding of how and why they use such language to communicate with other people and it would be easier to learn it.

I agree too. Know the cultural background does help in learning a language. For starters, it will allow us to know when to throw around certain words when speaking in their native tongue. Also, the language is a part of the culture so when we learn a language we are also indirectly learning their culture.

I definitely agree. One of the main things you learn when learning a language is that a lot of the language is based on slang. Slang comes mostly from culture. If you don't know anything about a culture then chances are the slang doesn't make any sense to you. That's why it bothers me when I'm taught to speak ridiculously formally. Nobody talks like that in reality.