Linguaholic

Difficulty level of Hindi Grammar

ashwinr1

Friends, how difficult is Hindi grammar to master? Obviously the difficulty level might vary based on whether the particular language is our native language or not. But on a normal scale, how difficult it is to master Hindi grammar?

Hi ashwinr, I don't think it is that difficult. It is deffintly not as difficult as Korean or Arabic grammar. The only real changeling things for English speakers would be the gender, the cases and the SOV word order but many European languages also have this.

Hi ashwinr, I don't think it is that difficult. It is deffintly not as difficult as Korean or Arabic grammar. The only real changeling things for English speakers would be the gender, the cases and the SOV word order but many European languages also have this.

Thanks for the clarification Meera! My mother tongue Tamil has an extremely difficult grammar which even native speakers struggle to master!

Thanks for the clarification Meera! My mother tongue Tamil has an extremely difficult grammar which even native speakers struggle to master!

Yeah Tamil grammar is so difficult. :(

The language in itself is not very difficult but mastering the cases and gender can be pretty tricky. Most of my friends from South India ended up learning rudimentary Hindi very quickly though. So, if you are around Hindi speakers it won't take a lot of time.

Mastering the language though is a different matter.

It's not easy at all. You have to learn all the basics which is not that difficult, but mastering it is not a child's play.

No language is easy to master, but Hindi is deffintly easier to master for an English than Arabic, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, or Thai because it is Indo-European which means it is distant cousins to the English language and also disant cousins to French, Spanish, Italian and even closer to languages like Persian. Hindi really presents no gigantic challenges to the English speaker, the only three things that I think are difficult and mess up on are the cases, word order can sometimes to be tricky and the gender. But even in French I have problems with the gender. The other thing for an english speaker that could be imdiating is the script, but even that is learnt eaisly because it is pretty much phonetic. It is not like in Japanese where you have to learn three diffirent scripts, including Kanji which has to be memorized or Arabic where they script does not write vowels and you  have to guess the prounciation.  Arabic grammar is also extreamly complicated, plurals are irregualar, they are called broken plurals and follow a pattern that you can not guess, that means every word you learn you have to memorize the plural version of it. Verbs in Arabic are really complex, they follow many different forms and patterns that often make no sense at all and extreamly confusing. Compared to some other languages Hindi for English speakers is really not that difficult. I just think it gets the reputation of being difficult because a lot of English would never take the time to learn it sadly :( 

No language is easy to master, but Hindi is deffintly easier to master for an English than Arabic, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, or Thai because it is Indo-European which means it is distant cousins to the English language and also disant cousins to French, Spanish, Italian and even closer to languages like Persian. Hindi really presents no gigantic challenges to the English speaker, the only three things that I think are difficult and mess up on are the cases, word order can sometimes to be tricky and the gender. But even in French I have problems with the gender. The other thing for an english speaker that could be imdiating is the script, but even that is learnt eaisly because it is pretty much phonetic. It is not like in Japanese where you have to learn three diffirent scripts, including Kanji which has to be memorized or Arabic where they script does not write vowels and you  have to guess the prounciation.  Arabic grammar is also extreamly complicated, plurals are irregualar, they are called broken plurals and follow a pattern that you can not guess, that means every word you learn you have to memorize the plural version of it. Verbs in Arabic are really complex, they follow many different forms and patterns that often make no sense at all and extreamly confusing. Compared to some other languages Hindi for English speakers is really not that difficult. I just think it gets the reputation of being difficult because a lot of English would never take the time to learn it sadly :(

Good thing that you are an English :) It must have been easier for you to learn Hindi.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have some background of Hindi from your academics or so, I think it is not that tedious task to learn the Hindi grammar.

I can say this confidently as I have been in the same shoes back in the days.

That is how I learnt Hindi Grammar back then.

The main problem for me is trying to remember which words are masculine and feminine when they end in a consonant. For words like "kitaab", "aag" and "prem", for example, you have to memorise the gender of the word as there is no "-a" or "-i" at the end to signal the gender.