Linguaholic

Who is studying linguistics/languages at university?

linguaholic

I would like to know if there are any other people here studying languages / linguistics at university? Also other majors/minors related to languages and linguistics are of interest in this thread! Let us know about your "language studies".

I currently study Chinese and computational linguistics at the university of Zurich. I guess a lot of people might wonder what computational linguistics is all about. If this is the case, I will be happy to explain in more detail!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am studying English at university, online, however. In fact, I am just now waiting for my home-exam to be sent to me within an hour, hehe. The linguistics course this year and also last year taught me a lot about how to think about language. I am a person who wants to go to the roots when learning something - I want to know HOW and WHY something is said like it is. Linguistics therefore has been a very interesting subject.

My major is Language Studies with a focus in Japanese :D

I don't really like linguistics (I only like to learn different languages), but I have to take ling classes anyway to complete my major. I'm currently taking a ling class on social identity and I have also taken semantics, syntax (not just English syntax), and phonology.

I study ethnolinguistics at university. I like the "ethno" part more than the "linguistics" part, though :P

At my university every linguistics/ethnolinguistics student has to study two languages; one is supposed to be either German or English and we're supposed to already have an advanced knowledge of it, the other we start from the very beginning.

I studied introductory French a few years back. It wasn't that good of a class although the professor was cute. Erm. I think I just appreciated the language more than learning it? He was mostly late and absent so I didn't really get my money's worth but it was fun when he was doing his job.

I studied Comparative Linguistics when I was at university, 10 years ago. It was fun, we had great courses and I specialized in Southeast Asian languages (Malay, Indonesian, Tagalog, Cambodian and Burmese). I still remember most of what i learned, which comes in handy while traveling in the region.