Linguaholic

Do you still like english after learning another language?

Do you still enjoy speaking english after you learned another language? I still enjoy English, but I can definitely see some of the flaws in the language now.

What are your thoughts on this? Still love english? Hate it? Sound off in the comments!

I find this an interesting topic, as it's something I've thought of a lot. I never liked English as much as other languages...even when it was the only one I spoke fluently, I could see many of the inherent problems and to me, it is just not as pleasing to speak or hear. There are also so many beautiful words/concepts that do not translate to English well.

Yes, I agree an interesting topic for sure.  It's so hard to have a perspective on English when you're a native speaker. 

It terms of the sound of spoken English in comparison to other languages, I always thought that many other languages sounded better than English.  The romance languages in particular as they are so mellifluous compared to English. 

But for me this is overridden by the emotional comfort of knowing and being able to speak my native language and feeling more confident that I could fully express my thoughts.  So in that sense, if anything, I might find I like English even more just because of that feeling of comfort and familiarity. 

I still like it because I can use it to communicate with many people all over the world. It's the language that enabled me to be close to a good number of people and it's what I use in my job. As romantic as other language can be, I still like English for all the ways I use it to connect with people.

I still like English more than the foreign languages that I have (and am) learning.  I actually prefer English just out of comfort.  I know very few people who prefer to speak the languages that they have learned, mostly because they do not feel as confident speaking those languages.  We all feel comfortable speaking our native tongue.

English is my first love and it will always be close to my heart  :angel: That being said, I'm glad that I decided to study other languages as well and not only focus on English. No point in limiting yourself, really.

Wow you guys make a great point about the comfort factor. I never thought about that, but I have to agree. I distinctly remember can't waiting to get back to English after a long Spanish class or project.

I guess nothing can ever replace your native tongue.

Wow you guys make a great point about the comfort factor. I never thought about that, but I have to agree. I distinctly remember can't waiting to get back to English after a long Spanish class or project.

I guess nothing can ever replace your native tongue.

Yes!  After French classes I was dying to start speaking English again!  I could not understand why I was being forced to learn a foreign language when my public school never trained me how to speak or write English in the proper manner in the first place. 

As a native speaker and growing up with English I still love it.  After learning another language and hearing so many others it seems English is a bit more "antiseptic" or plain than some of the other languages.  Some sound more fluid (or even romantic) and others very harsh and stacatto.  I wonder if it is just because I am a native speaker of English and maybe native speakers of other languages find English interesting.  Hard to tell when you are looking out from within.

Well it is like a forced love. There is no option in India, if you want a good job or want to pursue higher studies. I never learnt another foreign language and although the Indian language Sanskrit itself is rich and very ancient language, it has lost its grip on the Indians. There are number of institutes here in my own city teaching French and Germany, but i do not see great number of people there.

It's a language that has been deeply ingrained within me. After learning Spanish some time ago, I was able to see that a lot of the rules that govern English have a bevy of exceptions, sometimes not purely logical ones either. That being said, English's vocabulary is incredibly deep, and it's a language that borrows heavily from the world's tongues. So there is a lot of variety.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest isabbbela

Yes! It is still my favorite language! I actually might even prefer it than my native language - it's easier to speak, and as pretty much every music I hear, tv I watch and books I read are in English, it's just easier altogether.

I haven't learn any new language after English because English is simply enough for me. Although I think learning a new language depends on personal interest or school requirement or whatnot, I still like English because it's a universal language. I have spoken English for as long as I can remember. I don't know any reason why I don't like English just because I use it everyday.

I don't believe that English is plain or necessarily flawed. If a wordsmith is speaking it, it sounds beautiful; if Tom Two Teeth speaks it, it won't sound good. Because English borrows so much from other languages, it's extremely deep. I don't remember the stats, but apparently a fairly small percentage of English words are spoken by most people.

I learned English very early on in my life, now 20 years later, I'm still finding interesting things about the language. How each word is constructed and very specific to each thing, for example, when you really watch it closely and look at what kind of root words are being used and what prefixes and suffixes are being combined with them and how accurately they describe the thing they are named for. I find it very fascinating, still, and I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you still enjoy speaking english after you learned another language? I still enjoy English, but I can definitely see some of the flaws in the language now.

What are your thoughts on this? Still love english? Hate it? Sound off in the comments!

My my...I still love English. I have a great enthusiasm for speaking and learning the Spanish language, but thus far in being engulfed in it, I do not feel any kind of disconnect from my original native English tongue. :party:

I wouldn't say so. English is so engraved into culture that it hardly feels foreign to me anymore, so speaking and understanding it is almost second nature to me already and at this point, it's hard to imagine it as a foreign language for me. That said, I still like it, and love that I know it enough to be able to understand most things online, including comments that I find here. :)

English will always be a good language to me. When I was having english lessons I wasn't really into it. Even when I started learning Spanish, English was still a good language. It's not the language I like the most. It's the language I'm better at, and that makes me feel good. If I were bad, I bet I'd hate it!

Even English is not my native language I always do love it and for me it is my second mother tongue and that is why I like to write like what I am doing here now. We all know that English is the universal language and you are lucky if you can speak the language because everywhere you go you can communicate with English speaking people and you will not be afraid to travel around the world. Right now that I am studying Korean I do still love the English language. :)

• 4 years later...