Linguaholic

Forgetting Words?

Have you ever been engaged in a conversation with someone and then you just forget a word? I was talking to my friend the other day and my mind became blank, I was saying something, but I wasn't sure what word I had to use. Has this ever happened to you?

I was talking on the phone when this happened. The person from the other line though I got disconnected because I went silent for quite a bit there. Haha. so yeah, this happens to me as well. :)

Guest isabbbela

Oh I forget words all the time, in every language!! I actually forget mostly words in my own native language! haha I will remember the word in English, but not in Portuguese. Happens all the time, my friends get mad at me sometimes  :bored:

It happens to me fairly often. It seems to happen when I'm particularly focused on what the next words will be that come out of my mouth, instead of just letting the words come naturally. It's hard to explain. It obviously happens to a lot of people in public speaking situations, but it happens to me when I'm in a one-on-one conversation, and with mundane words.

Yes. In fact it just happened earlier with my husband. It's worse when you just wake up and this person is trying to talk to you about something important and here you are,mind still halfway awake and having to listen to him explain about where he's gonna put the 'sectional couch'. I've never heard of the word lol so when I tried to reply back about how we should put 'that part' this way,he was like 'what part'. I tried to find the word but couldn't so I just showed him the picture and he went 'ohh the end part of the couch'.

This happens to me a lot too, more often than it should. However I'm good at covering it up, I usually say something else so I can give myself the time to think. Most of the times it works, but when it doesn't it's very emparrassing.

Yes.  I think it happens to people both in there native tongue and in a learned language.  I think our brains and our speaking are often at different levels or speeds maybe and sometimes we just hit a bump.  I would not be embarassed, but just be upfront about it.  Often times the listener will guess and even in the context of what you may have started to say, I have found they rarely get it right.

I was talking on the phone when this happened. The person from the other line though I got disconnected because I went silent for quite a bit there. Haha. so yeah, this happens to me as well. :)

The person thought that you got disconnected? That's pretty funny. :laugh: It's one of the most embarrassing things to happen especially during a speech or a presentation. Has this ever happened to you in any of those cases? it's happened to me numerous times and each time probably more embarrassing than the next because you’d think that I'd learn by then to take notes with me.

• 4 years later...
On 10/7/2013 at 5:24 AM, Guest isabbbela said:

Oh I forget words all the time, in every language!! I actually forget mostly words in my own native language! haha I will remember the word in English, but not in Portuguese. Happens all the time, my friends get mad at me sometimes  :bored:

I remember when I was climbing up a mountain with my coworkers and I noticed that there's a ladybug near me. I spontaneously said a "ladybug" (in English) and then trying to remember what was its name in our native language.