Linguaholic

Which English words do you have trouble spelling?

Guest akasha24

Generally, I have no problems in spellings.

Few years ago, I had tough time writing " bureaucracy"  which often landed me in embarrassing situations :)

But somehow I have now mastered the art of spelling and I am pretty much okay with it right now.

For those who have nightmares when it comes to spellings, I suggest to develop the habbit of  reading and keep a good dictionary handy.

I finally learned how to spell exacerbate today. Not that I use it very often. My most common typos is 'going' which I often spell as 'gogin' although I know how to spell it correctly, I just never end up doing so.

Mentioning correctly, I often used to spell that with one 'R'

Which English words do you misspell the most?

Well as for me i do have problem with 'E" and "I", Whenever I am suppose to put "E" first I always tend to "I" instead. Such word as, "Yield", "Field". I always have to ask someone if the spelling is correct. I also remember try to spell 'Busy", and it took me two day before i could get it right . :laugh:

I have a hard time with ELY words like definitely.  I am always writing it definitley and then having to look at it closely and redoing it.  I am slowly trying to train myself on this mistake that I am constantly making with these words.  I am a fairly good speller other than those words.

Belligerent and words with double or single letters. I get everything mixed up when single or double letters come into play. Sometimes I also swap those with "ei", "ie". I also mistake "gn" in some words and sometimes place h.

I always mess up with exercise and exaggerate. Always! There is something so unintuitive about the way those words are spelled. (E.g. I had to spellcheck for exaggerate...ah!)  :bored:

the words like: RECEIVE - but I have read from someone a very good TIP to remember the correct spelling. every time time I encountered words such as DECEIVE, RECEIVED, BELIEVE - the position of the E and the I remains very confusing to me. so the tip was to always remember the world CELIA - if the previous letter is C it should be followed by E, and of course, if the preceding letter is L, it is followed by I - as the case of BELIEVE and RECEIVE.

And I spell happily ever after.. hehehe

• 3 weeks later...

Anything in English that has a french etymology. Those cursed words where they don't pronounce half of the letters. That was always infuriating back when I was trying to do well in Spelling Bees. I'd do fantastic for most of it but then they'd throw the curve ball.

• 3 weeks later...

I always have difficulty spelling the word "separate" and "separately", I have to sound it out in my head a whole bunch of times before I spell it correctly. I used to have difficulty spelling the word "because", but then one of my teachers in elementary school taught me "Bake Eleven Cakes Always Using Seven Eggs" and now I say it every time I spell the word "because".

I always write "Separate" as "seperate". I also sometimes have mix-ups with "ie" combinations. In general though, I manage to fix my own mistakes without relying on spellcheck. It's a good way to keep your spelling sharp.

I think there are quite a few English words that are confusing, I know how to spell them but I have to think about it to work out the right way. I can never work out how to spell calendar as I get confused where the e and a goes, recommend I can never remember whether its two c or m's. Words like banana or Mississippi take a bit of thought as the repetitiveness of the ends means you have to think if you have put the right amount of the letters in to make sense when reading.

Any words with double letters multiple times, like the word "assessment".  I always misspell it on paper, and I almost misspelled the word "misspell".  I'm not sure why, but it's just something that I always mess up on.